If a Prospective Client is Insulting

I went to the dentist with shorts and a tee shirt. I spoke to the guy in charge with a numb mouth and somewhat dazed.

Since it worked so well, are you going to try this again this week?

Let us know how it turns out.

I have a prospective new client that is a carrier referral, that has been obnoxious, obtuse and claimed that she had trouble understanding my Southern accent, claimed that she was joking, then made the same statement two more times while we were talking.

I've never had this happen before, and frankly, I have a lot of Northern clients, that have never made this claim, and have been a great source of referrals. In fact, most of my business is referrals.

I would like to tell her to find someone else, but this is a carrier referral. If I let on that I am not interested in her business, she is going straight back to them, I just know it.

How would you handle it?

Thanks

I will be real honest with you, I have had a few clients like this and I just smile and take it.To me just do what makes you feel better about yourself. I have had to tell some folks that I did not want their business. So do what makes you feel better about you:yes:

And looking at this from another perspective:

I've been in a bad mood before and ripped someone a new one for no good reason. Then later, having realized what a total a-hole I was, I leaned over backward to do something for the object of my guilt.

I would guess that the nicer the person was, the more guilt I heaped upon myself.

I remember one time giving someone in the Clerk of Court's office a really hard time. I'm sure this person thought I was a Giant A-Hole. They were so darned nice about it, that I ended up sending the boss a commendation letter congratulating them for having such an outstanding employee.

You know what? I bet this works for us too. Be nice. Make them guilty. Be SO nice they buy a huge insurance policy.

Why is it that so many agents are willing to let a client go (and the repeat sales, cross sales and referrals that go with it) because of a bruised little ego?

Give me a break!

The toughest clients are the best ones because no one wants to deal with them.

Remember "he who angers you, conquers you."

Why is it that so many agents are willing to let a client go (and the repeat sales, cross sales and referrals that go with it) because of a bruised little ego?

Give me a break!

The toughest clients are the best ones because no one wants to deal with them.

Remember "he who angers you, conquers you."

So true.

I walked into a house and the first words out of the guys mouth were, "I think all insurance agents are lying, cheating SOB's". I told him I agreed with him. He smiled and I wrote a policy on him and his wife.

Nothing disarms a person faster than to agree with them.

So true.

I walked into a house and the first words out of the guys mouth were, "I think all insurance agents are lying, cheating SOB's". I told him I agreed with him. He smiled and I wrote a policy on him and his wife.

Nothing disarms a person faster than to agree with them.

I had this happen to me just last week, had almost the same dialogue with this client. After about 20 minutes of explaining to her how different benefits worked and not just telling her she had to have the most expensive policy on the market she was offering for me to stay over for dinner. It doesn't take much training to get an insurance license...plenty of idiots are in this market which make people feel like we are a worthless profession, until you can prove them otherwise.

Back