Individual Health Closing Techniques??

John:
That's one funny story. Especially the card thing. BTW, where do I get some cards on the cheap? I bought the print your own card stuff, but thinking I may have gone a little too cheap there.

Also, what's AV?

DELETED: I was gonna mention Vista Prints, but saw that someone already did.

Last edited:
Years ago I had some "special" cards printed to give to "special" people. When I was asked for my card by one of these "special" people I would give them one of the "special" cards.

The only thing printed on the card was:

My Card

Well, that's what they wanted!

I get my cards from www.vistaprint.com

Used to get laughed at by other agents, when I told them this. These are the same agents that now get their cards, and letterhead, and brochures, from there.

You can get 250 cards for free. All you pay is the shipping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I used vistaprint; but don't you have vistaprint logo/advertising on the back of those free cards? I'm just wondering what does to the professional credibility, or are the cards blank on the back?

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I used vistaprint; but don't you have vistaprint logo/advertising on the back of those free cards? I'm just wondering what does to the professional credibility, or are the cards blank on the back?

You can opt for a blank back or a design at a nominal fee, still dirt cheap!

You know, I have used VP a number of times, and used to pay the 10 bucks to remove their advertising from the rear of the card. Then I go thrifty, and on a re-order left their logo in place. I can't say that I have ever heard anyone mention it as a negative. I have had folks mention the recognition of the VP template, because they already use VP themselves. Other than that, it is a non-factor either way, IMO.

Like most things, if it is a concern to you, then you probably convey that concern to your client, subconciously. If you are confident in what you offer, including the card you hand to clients, (with a small logo on the rear of the card), then it is a non-issue as well.

I never cared about the VP logo either, up until I added a quote on the back with a design that matched the front. People comment on the quote, never commented on the vista logo.

Also, keep in mind, after a while you won't have to worry about going cheap.

You know, I have used VP a number of times, and used to pay the 10 bucks to remove their advertising from the rear of the card. Then I go thrifty, and on a re-order left their logo in place. I can't say that I have ever heard anyone mention it as a negative. I have had folks mention the recognition of the VP template, because they already use VP themselves. Other than that, it is a non-factor either way, IMO.

Like most things, if it is a concern to you, then you probably convey that concern to your client, subconciously. If you are confident in what you offer, including the card you hand to clients, (with a small logo on the rear of the card), then it is a non-issue as well.

When I sit down with a client it's app or no app. It's been a soft touch up until then;

*Get lead
*Send welcome letter
*Call 4 days later after they received the letter
*Ask if they want quotes
*Call back the next day, run through options on phone, qualify, set appointment

So by the time I meet with them it's about 2 weeks after they requested the quote. But now it's s**t or get off the pot time. If they want time to decide on which plan to choose no problem:

"I'll go ahead and fill out the application now, then call you tomorrow and just tell me which plan you chose."

If I get "why don't we just hold off on the app" it's over. No card, just a thank you and I'm out. Doesn't matter - comes with the territory.

John, when you say "it's over" do you never follow up with them again? Not even a drip?

I've gone so far as to take my card BACK from a prospect. They asked me why I did that, and my response was, "Roger, it's obvious you don't want to work with me. I've answered all your questions, and yet, you tell me you want to get quotes from other agents, who haven't done the work I did for you. There's something about me that doesn't rub you the right way. That's fine. I'd rather give my card to someone who would call me back, and allow me to provide them my services. Take care."

I love it.

Years ago I heard an agent tell a story about visiting a prospect, making a presentation and leaving his card. As the agent was leaving the office he noticed out of the corner of his eye the prospect dropping the business card in the trash.

The agent took a few more steps, then stopped, turned around and walked back to the prospects desk.

"Did you forget something" asked the prospect.

"Yes, my card. Would you give it back"?

"Why would you want your card back"? said the prospect.

"I am on a budget and I work very hard for my money. While the card is only a few pennies, my time is quite valuable. I noticed you kept my proposal but discarded my business card. May I have it back? I also want my proposal. I am sure you can appreciate the hard work I did or else you would have discarded it as well. I see no reason to allow another agent to benefit from my work. Do you?"

The prospect retrieved the card from the trash, and handed him the proposal.

The agent never returned and never regretted his action.

I could never understand this either. I just had a client who has a close family friend that works for AXA. When trying to close, they would not sign the application because they wanted to show my presentation/plan/quotes to their AXA agent friend. I asked them at that point: if you already have to run every single thing through your AXA friend, why am I here?

Answer: We're just shopping around and would like to see if there's something better, but we trust our AXA agent and want him to review it first.

Uhhhh.....does anyone here think that their AXA "friend" will be my "friend" too and recommend they buy insurance from any agent but himself? LOL.

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes they say.. "I need to talk to my friend about this before I make a decision".

"I need to talk to my friend about this before I make a decision".

More often than not, they are saying either you have not given them enough information to make a decision, or you have not gained their trust.

Back