Insurance Is A Tough Business

This is a tough business.

When I first started I wondered why everyone wasn't doing it.

I agree.

I think the toughest part of this business for most agents is simply making enough money to be able to consistently re-invest in their business, while at the same time being able to pay or maintain their regular bills.

It's gonna be hard to make money without talking to people that's for sure. They have the money so how are you going to get it? You have to help people in order to be paid. There are so many people out there looking for help and willing to pay for it.

Put yourself in their shoes, and try to make it easy for them to find you. Cold-calling is tough, unless you have a reason to call them.

Find a reason to contact people that are looking for help and offer them a solution. It's really that simple.

Sheldon-If I can do this, you can do it. Stick it out but maybe change your attitude or outlook. I think of it as personal growth and like you said, it gets me out of my comfort zone. I'm very introverted too and I don't like talking to people but I can and will do it (I have to force myself to and talk myself into it all the time). If your reasons WHYs are big enough you can do anything you want. If you keep thinking about switching careers and being depressed/frustrated end of day then maybe you should switch already (because you can't be successful if you keep thinking about quitting).

I know that sounds like a load of positive thinking crap but I'm only trying to help. I'm going to start a blog to track my progress starting in October. I told my Dad if I see 20 people week, that's the only thing I can control-my actions.

Re: Tough

I started before you (with Pru)...they wouldn't tell you a dahammm dahammm thing - as a matter of fact, they'd try to throw you off the scent!

When with Pru were you "Ordinary" or "Debit"? Those debit guys really 'cracked' me up!...but at least they clued the new guys in.:skeptical:

Tucker444 said:
This won't sound logical BUT...when I said it was tough I was reacting to a Specific event that happened that day.

I actually have a great book so far. People tell me its amazing how much I have done in a year and half.

What I am finding is so hard is how dishonest some agents are and how some people who control the carrier actions are.

I dont think most people are in this business are dishonest like many people do. But when I run in to one or in to a situation I cant tell you how angry it makes me. And how I just want to scream and beat the crap out of them! :mad:

So maybe the hard part is just not doing that! :D

I hear ya. A contract welder needed coverage for a new 1-ton flatbed. I got him in, proposed commercial auto coverage, he called the next day; a captive wrote him a PERSONAL AUTO POLICY with "business use!"

(Sigh) i guess prospects are only as smart as i make them, but "other" agents can be beyond frustrating.

Back