Is This Possible?

Your biggest challenge will be cash flow. You need carriers that will advance commissions.

And, I would try to cross sell final expense to everyone you talk with. Its much easier to find final expense carriers that will advance than med supp.

Good luck. A bold move, but you can succeed.

I just went indy and switched to Medicare. I was a captive agent in the underage health side. I made very good money but was unhappy with the products so I left to start over.

One thing that I feel is being overlooked here. You have 5 years of Major Medical experience. You know the Major Medical market. You could do both until your on your feet with the MedSupp's. I know that the Major Medical is a long process before you get paid. I also know that a good Major Medical Indy agent is a door opener for employer's (HR Dept.) and PC shops. Also ask new MedSupp sales for Major Medical referrals -- often their kids need coverage.

While out on appointments stop in a mid-sized business and ask the HR person if they have any need for your services. Stop by a PC shop and discuss the possibility. Many PC shops will refer as long as your not stealing clients and they often don't care about the commission split.

IMHO Diversify your products, marketing, and clients. This is not an easy business. Don’t forget about setting aside enough for your taxes. You need to get income ASAP and we all have experienced the fear factor described above. Referrals are golden. Keep digging.... And let us know how you do!

Thanks, I do still sell Golden rule threw AHCP for advances but I think the 65+ market is going to explode with the baby boomers and its a once in a life time chance. also the underage market doesnot have as good persistancy as the 65+ does.

I have had better luck cold calling to make sales.. I set my best appointments. Ive tried buying telemarketed leads, internet leads, and direct mail leads. I always make sales on them but enough to break even on the investment. I understand investing into your own business but I want to net the return on the investment.

This is incomprehensible to me. I've been doing med supps for about 10 years now and I have never had a negative return of investment. I almost hesitate to say this but maybe it's your selling technique. When it comes to Major Medical, it can be complicated, maybe not to you if you know it well. But when it comes to Med Supps and seniors, the last thing you want to do is make it any more complicated than it is. The senior market is not complicated. If you are in fact making it more complicated than it is, then there's your 1st problem. For instance, you don't need to go in and go over the whole outline of coverage with them. All they really want to know is three things...
1. Are my bills going to be paid.
2. Am I getting a good deal for my money (which is fixed by the way).
3. Can I trust you to take care of me from here on out.

I've heard so many agents brag about how they don't sell on price and if you do, then another agent will come behind you and sell on price and knock you out. Not true, not if you are on top of your game and always be ready with another med supp when their existing one becomes illogical on price.

Thanks...Medicare is a diffrent world...I have been in the business for 5 years with a captive company selling underage and some medicare...I realized that medicare has a much better persistancy rate and better refferals. And got tired of all the BS you have to do with a captive company and you dont own anything you write as they now will not pay me any renewals on my business i wrote with them (20 years to vest) I think Indy is the way to go to really help you clients and be able to offer the best products and own your business. BUT, its not easy....lol

One can make a lot of money selling Med Supps. And, cold calling to do it.

In my opinion cold calling for Med Supps is not only the most cost effective way to do it, it is the single most successful way of selling them that I have found. (Moonlight doesn't agree but I don't think he works the senior market either.)

That may not be true marketing other insurance products but in the senior market it has been very successful for me. So successful that there really isn't a whole lot of work to it if done correctely.

My goal selling Med Supps is to write one app a day that stays on the books. Doing that will make you a lot of money.

The secret, if there is one, to selling Med Supps is to stay in contact with your clients. Agents who don't do that spend the first several months of every year just trying to replace the business they have lost before they can begin increasing their "book of business".

I will be happy to share with you what I do and how I do it if you are interested. Just give me a call, early mornings or evenings are the best time to reach me. Otherwise leave a voice mail and I will call you. 573-642-8338

.....I will be happy to share with you what I do and how I do it if you are interested. Just give me a call, early mornings or evenings are the best time to reach me. Otherwise leave a voice mail and I will call you. 573-642-8338

Frank, my hat is off to you. You are generous with your time. I think you are a class act and have helped a lot of people! :) Besides you are a shooting enthusiast on top of it! :D Merry Christmas!

Frank, my hat is off to you. You are generous with your time. I think you are a class act and have helped a lot of people! :) Besides you are a shooting enthusiast on top of it! :D Merry Christmas!

From one shooting buddy to another, a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

Thank you for all the help... Frank i will contact you after xmass im sure you have alot of good advise to follow. I have only bought leads for underage and it can be very expensive if you dont convert sales out of them. i have not tryed bying leads for medicare just because I do get sales easier off cold calling than what I did with the underage market where you almost have to buy leads.

Back