• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Life Insurance and Taxes

No, the only gift tax issue would be if one person received the funds and tried to distribute it to other people. This would create a gift tax implication beyond the exclusion.

Not true from my understanding.

In the OPs example, where Child A owns the policy & lists children B & C (and A of course) as benes; Child A is giving a gift of the DB to the other two.

I have had multiple estate attorneys confirm this.

You can list as many benes as you want if the insured owns/controls it. If not, the IRS/courts consider it as the non-insured owner giving a gift to the other two.

Read case #4 on this link

I didnt believe it at first, but its true. And as Vol's link shows, was the heart of the "Goodman Triangle".

Last edited:
It is gift tax, sorry I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I wrote that.

Too many projects and too much caffeine, or at least that's going to be my scapegoat for this one. ;)

ahhh good stuff, so it is gift tax on daughter A and not income taxable on daughter b and c.

so no way to avoid this, other than have all beneficiary listed as owner or the insured being the owner.

Last edited:
ahhh good stuff, so it is gift tax on daughter A and not income taxable on daughter b and c.

so no way to avoid this, other than have all beneficiary listed as owner or the insured being the owner.

If daughter A is the owner and beneficiary it's not a Goodman Triangle. She would however, have a very difficult time getting the proceeds to the other siblings.

If Daughter A and the siblings are listed beneficiaries than the payment to the non-owner siblings is a Goodman Triangle and their benefit is subject to Gift Taxes.

Best to have the insured be the owner as well, or establish a trust that owns the policy and is beneficiary. The children are then beneficiaries to the trust; this will avoid the tax issue.

If an ILIT were used on a new policy than the death benefit would not be includeable in the insured's gross estate, which may be coveted.

Latest posts

Back