• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Marketing Tactics for "Millenials"

Remember rule number one of sales- follow the money! It only makes $$$$ to market this group once they get married and start their family. Time is money- what is the best use of yours?

To answer the original poster, I am trying some things:

1. Increasing my "tweets" on twitter. Most of what I retweet comes from industry bigwigs. Some comes from me.
  2. Continue to blog
  3. I started a group on Meetup dot com, and either the 24th or the 28th of February, I will host the first of many Insurance Info Forums. Thus far, I have two young folks join my group.
  4. Market to their parents. I do speaking engagements to the 65+ crowd, and mention that entering into LTC might be disadvantageous for them, but their adult children might consider it.
  5. Volunteer at Job Seeker meetings, where a good number of these newly fired folks go.
That being said, they are a low ROI crowd, and always will be.

I think this is really an issue only for agents on the L&H side, where insurance products are much more age-specific.

I can only speak from the P&C side of it, where age is much less of a factor

I don't market to millennials any differently than I market to the baby boomer generation.

Being almost 42, I fall in generation X (whatever that means). So I'm right in the middle of the two.

Younger generations are definitely more technologically savvy than older generations. Back when I was a teen, been considered smart technologically meant that you could hook up an Atari or VCR to a television set (a simple skill that neither of which our parents/grandparents had any desire to learn). But over time, I think that gap has closed more than people realize.

Over time, that has conditioned our way of thinking that the older generation is completely out of touch with modern technology. That was true at one time. But not so much now.

most baby boomers:

• own a smartphone
  • have internet
  • have email
  • have at least 1 social media acct. (according to FB, they're the fastest growing age demographic).
  • like the younger folks, they probably haven't picked up a phone book in a long time either.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to coverage, service and value. It doesn't matter to me if you're 18 or 80. I market the same way to all.

Last edited:
I think you're making up your own facts here. Myself and many of my friends fit into that group (admittedly towards the older end) and the majority of them didn't vote for Obama.

Yes because the vast majority of that group did NOT vote.

Yes because the vast majority of that group did NOT vote.

As valid as that point is, many of my friends that did vote did not vote for Obama. Of course I'm more likely to be friends that share my views so that may not be wholly representative of the age group, but a lot of folks in my group lean more libertarian than liberal.

If you don't know how to properly position and explain the benefits of permanent life insurance solutions to this age group... then it's your fault for not raising your rates... or rather, creating desire on the part of your prospects to pay more for the same coverage.

While you could use LEAP or Circle of Wealth, I'd recommend the resources offered by the Insurance Pro Shop to keep the discussions as simple as possible.

Some agents do the right thing...some agents do anything

Is "the right thing" always a term policy?

Let me put it to you in another way: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you can salt the horse's oats so that he'll WANT to drink.

That's all I'm talking about.

And I don't appreciate the attitude in your post.

Latest posts

Back