Medicare URL for sale

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a URL that someone can buy if they think it will be useful. I have retired and will never use it.
The URL is medicaretaker.com. I was going to set up a set-up a site named "MediCaretaker" but I just never got around to it.

If you would like a URL with "medicare" in the name let me know. You can send an email with an offer to [email protected].

My understanding:
- Florida agencies - can't have "Medicare" anywhere in the name of the agency
- All agencies (nationwide) - see @azmedsupagent's post - i.e. it can't look as if it's Medicare.

I'm hoping my website/brand is still good - as far as I know, it is, and I'll continue to use it until specifically told to take it down (startmedicareright.com - man, that needs some updating, lol - it's not the best website out there...).

As far as prohibiting ads that do not mention a specific plan name - that's interesting - so no generic advertising of yourself and your services?

I'm hoping my website/brand is still good - as far as I know, it is, and I'll continue to use it until specifically told to take it down (startmedicareright.com - man, that needs some updating, lol - it's not the best website out there...).
Change it to medicaremyass.com ... pretty sure that will get you some business.

My understanding:
- Florida agencies - can't have "Medicare" anywhere in the name of the agency
- All agencies (nationwide) - see @azmedsupagent's post - i.e. it can't look as if it's Medicare.

As far as prohibiting ads that do not mention a specific plan name - that's interesting - so no generic advertising of yourself and your services?

my agency is now Eddy Care Plans

From Federal Registry, search word "logo"

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Federal Register :: Request Access

2. Prohibit the Use of the Medicare Name, CMS Logo, and Products or Information Issued by the Federal Government in a Misleading Way
CMS proposed to add a new sub-subparagraph (xix) to § 422.2262(a)(1) and a new sub-subparagraph (xviii) to § 423.2262(a)(1) to address the use of the Medicare name, CMS logo, and products or information issued by the Federal Government, including the Medicare card. CMS is aware of concerns from external stakeholders about marketing activities and documents that appear to be from Medicare, CMS, or the Federal Government. Through beneficiary complaints and CMS surveillance activities over the years, we have seen the word “Medicare” in names of store fronts, on notices or postcards where “Medicare” is in large font while disclaimers are miniscule, and in television advertisements where a beneficiary could assume that the advertising is coming from CMS or the Medicare program in general. We have also seen logos that are very similar to the Health and Human Services (HHS) logo, on websites and print materials. These logos have featured circles with writing around the circle and a bird, wings, or other images that appear to be the same image used by the Federal Government. There are also numerous third-party internet sites with “Medicare” in the URL or a logo similar to the HHS logo, potentially causing a beneficiary to click on a private site when they intend to go to Medicare.gov or are seeking official Medicare information or access. Often, it appears as if the materials urging the beneficiary to “take action” are from Medicare, or that these third parties represent Medicare or the Federal Government. With the increase of third parties in the marketplace, based on CMS' surveillance and complaints received (especially through 1–800–MEDICARE), we are concerned that an increasing number of beneficiaries are being misled into believing the entity they are contacting is Medicare or the Federal Government. One specific example, provided by a Medicare beneficiary, is a postcard with the beneficiary-named address with “Medicare Notice” in large, bold letters at the top along with “Personal & Confidential” and “Important Medicare Information.” This postcard also had a “Medicare Information” box listing a “Customer ID,” formatted to look like an official Medicare beneficiary number. This misleading postcard appeared to be an official document disseminated by the Federal Government. In our review of complaints received through 1–800 MEDICARE, CMS discovered other examples of beneficiaries who mistakenly believed they were calling Medicare rather than a private MA or Part D plan or its agent or broker, likely based on the receipt of a flyer using the word “Medicare” in a way that conveyed to the beneficiary that they must call the telephone number on the mailer. These complaints illustrate that the use of the Medicare name is at times confusing and misleading to Medicare beneficiaries. CMS can see no value or purpose in a non-governmental entity's use of the Medicare logo or HHS logo except for the express purpose of sowing confusion and misrepresenting itself as the government.

A top CMS priority, consistent with sections 1851(h)(2) and 1860D–01(b)(1)(B)(vi) of the Act and CMS's implementing regulations at §§ 422.2262 and 423.2262, is to ensure that MA organizations and Part D sponsors, and their first tier and downstream entities, disseminate information to beneficiaries that is accurate and not misleading. We are therefore concerned that the use of the term “Medicare” in situations like those, as previously described, erroneously leads beneficiaries to believe that Medicare-related communications or advertising are disseminated or endorsed by Medicare or the Federal Government, when in actuality such communications are being disseminated by the MA organizations/Part D sponsors themselves, or by entities operating on behalf of the MA organizations or Part D sponsors. Although the types of plan communications, previously described, that feature the word “Medicare” typically include disclaimers that state the information presented is not connected to or endorsed by the Federal Government or the Medicare program, these disclaimers are often tiny, difficult to read, and are mixed in with other CMS-required disclaimers as well as plan-developed, non-required, disclaimers. While CMS already prohibits inaccurate or misleading information under §§ 422.2262(a)(1)(i) and 423.2262(a)(1)(i), we believe it is important to specifically prohibit the misleading use of the Medicare name, CMS logo, and products or information issued by the Federal Government, as well as prohibiting the use of the Medicare card unless previously approved by CMS in §§ 422.2262(a)(1) and 423.2262(a)(1). We are not including the Medicare Part D mark, as CMS gives Part D sponsors contractual permission to use the mark. With these proposals, we intended to firmly and clearly prohibit the improper use of these terms and logos. Therefore, we proposed adding a new paragraph (xix) to § 422.2262(a)(1) and a new (xviii) to § 423.2262(a)(1), which specifically prohibits the use of the Medicare name, CMS logo, or products or information issued by the Federal Government, including the Medicare card, in a misleading manner. We acknowledge that reasons exist to use the Medicare card image, which we will permit with authorization from CMS.

Since CMS contracts with MA organizations and Part D sponsors and those contracts incorporate requirements to comply with part 422 and part 423 regulations, CMS holds these organizations accountable for the actions of their first tier, downstream and related entities (FDR), per §§ 422.504(i) and 423.505(i); in addition, CMS requires MA organizations and Part D sponsors to include in their contracts with first tier, downstream and related entities that any services or activities conducted by the first tier, downstream or related entity are performed in accordance with the MA organization's or Part D sponsor's obligations under its contract with CMS. If CMS determines that the Medicare name, CMS logo, or official products like the Medicare card, have been used in a misleading manner by an FDR, CMS would address the issue with the MA organization or Part D sponsor on whose behalf the FDR was operating and hold the sponsoring organization accountable for the misleading information.

Comment: We received numerous comments supporting our proposal limiting the use of the Medicare name, logo, and products. Some commenters supporting our proposal did request that we provide additional guidance on ways the Medicare name or Medicare card image could be used. Commenters stated specific circumstances such as using the image of the Medicare card to help beneficiaries recognize their card when needed.

Response: We appreciate the support for this proposal. We agree with the commenters that there are instances where the use of the word “Medicare” or the image of the Medicare card are both necessary and not misleading. Situations such as identifying the difference between a MA organization's or Part D sponsor's card from the Medicare card, displaying a picture of the Medicare card to remind beneficiaries that they do need to keep the card safe, even though they are in a Medicare Advantage plan, and showing the card so a beneficiary knows where to find their Medicare Beneficiary Identification number serve legitimate and important purposes. To ensure that the Medicare card image is not being used inappropriately, we are requiring organizations, including first tier, downstream, and related entities to receive authorization from CMS prior to the use of the image. This will ensure that the card is only being used in educational ways and not for marketing purposes.

Comment: We received one comment opposing this proposal. The commenter stated that as long as the website clearly states it is not Medicare, then the use of the word Medicare is not misleading.

Response: Ensuring that beneficiaries can recognize and trust that materials are from Medicare or the federal government is important. Specifically prohibiting the misleading use of the Medicare name, CMS logo, and products or information issued by the Federal Government, as well as prohibiting the use of the Medicare card unless previously approved by CMS in §§ 422.2262(a)(1) and 423.2262(a)(1), will protect beneficiaries. Website names containing “Medicare” such as “medicare.com” may easily be confused with Medicare.gov. Although sites may have a disclaimer stating they are not a governmental agency, the disclaimer may be small, at the bottom of a very long page, or hidden in another page, all of which can make the disclaimer difficult for a beneficiary to notice on the website.

Disclaimers or taglines that are prominently placed, in a font size and color to be readily noticed, and that clearly explain that an entity or website is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or otherwise somehow related to the federal government, CMS, HHS, and/or Medicare are essential. Additional information or factors may contribute to, or alternatively, actually eliminate the potential for use of the Medicare name, CMS logo, and products and information issued by the federal government to be confusing or misleading to enrollees or potential enrollees. It is necessary to consider and evaluate the facts, when using the Medicare name, CMS logo, and products or information issued by the Federal Government to determine whether the use of them violates this provision we are finalizing. Plans and their TPMOs need to take the necessary steps to ensure that their marketing and communication materials and activities comply.

Based on the comments, CMS is finalizing the proposal, with a minor modification, to prohibit the use of the Medicare name, logo, or products in a misleading manner when used in marketing of MA and Part D plans. The modification is to permit use of the Medicare card image with CMS authorization.

Back