My Own Website?

DiegoInsGuy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm looking for some insight..I am an independent agent focusing on Home, Auto, term life and this year want to add commercial auto and general liabilty.

I do not own my own agency, but instead I am a producer at an agency with a 50/50 new and renewal split. I have to do my own CSR work, if I am out of the office the csr's employed by the agency will assist my clients. Lastly, I do own my book.:)

Heres where I need your help..The agency that I am at is really old school as far as marketing. We have a web-site but it basically has a picture of the building and all of the staff and producers.
I asked the agency principal if they were interested in developing more of a lead generating site. They are not at all. They have been around for a long time and everyone mainly works from referrals.

Since I work as an indepent agent (producer) do you think that it would be good to develop my own web-site? Kind of branding my own name. I'm under the agency E&O so I think I would have them on the site somewhere..not sure about that..How would you go about this?

I wouldn't do anything without the consent and approval of the agency owner. I think you have to sell him/her on the idea that a better web presence will help the agency and get them to hire a web developer to make it happen.

If you can't sell him/her on the idea, then see if they will allow you to have a personal site without mention of of the agency. True, you could probably do this anyway, but it will be best to keep them in the loop.

You could perhaps suggest that they put a test leads site in a sub-domain of their site that would not be seen by the public until they bless off on it.

No matter what, since this is going to benefit the agency they should be footing part if not all of the bill... depending on who would have ownership of the new site when/if you left.

Al
I am here.

As long as they are open to you having your own site, it's a great idea. You can get a domain and hosting for less than $100 a year, and throw a wordpress themed site together pretty easily. One client that you get from it and it usually pays for itself.

Don't forget to list it on google places and submit it to all the business listings for your city that you can.

Back