New CMS Guidance on Initial Commissions on Medicare Advantage

UHC Update Letter:

June 29, 2009

Dear Agent:
We want to give you a quick update on the request UnitedHealthcare (UHC) made last week to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to review the guidance provided on June 5 regarding Part D to Medicare Advantage enrollments.
CMS has indicatedthat it agrees that its November interim final rule and issued guidance was not as clear as intended. CMS is rethinking that policy/strategy and is considering issuing a new compensation file that addresses this issue.
While this continues to look positive, it is important to note that CMS has not made any final decisions at this time nor has it promised us what its final decision will be or when that decision will come.
In order to be prepared, UHC has plans in place should CMS decide to issue a new file, and we will be prepared to make payments as fast as possible should CMS rule that way.
Thank you for your continued support and business. We will continue to send updates as we have more information on this developing situation.
Sincerely,

There's nothing to think about. Do the honest and respectful thing and pay agents what their owed.

I get the feeling their hedging.

I just want to say thanks for the positive comments above, I'm really blown away and didn't want to ignore the feedback without saying thank you!

If this gets resolved and I was, in any way, responsible for a favorable outcome, I'll be satified knowing that I contributed to the cause. I'm sure there will be plenty of self-congratulation to go around and I don't need any parts of that.

Although I don't post much, I do read the board pretty frequently because I want to know what issues you all are interested in and concerned about. To that extent, this board has given me more than I've given back. Where I can, I'll try to make a positive contribution!

Thanks again. I expect the final word from CMS by the end of this week.

Is it possible that some company with a lot of money told CMS in no uncertain terms that if their current ruling on commissions stood it would be off to court?

Is it possible that some company with a lot of money told CMS in no uncertain terms that if their current ruling on commissions stood it would be off to court?

At this morning's Medicare Advantage Breakfast Roundtable (at Denny's in Manassas, VA), even though it was somewhat lightly attended due to the holiday this week, most of the CMS and insurance company CEO bigwigs had this to say about the agent comp issue, "f--- 'em where they breathe."

At this morning's Medicare Advantage Breakfast Roundtable (at Denny's in Manassas, VA), even though it was somewhat lightly attended due to the holiday this week, most of the CMS and insurance company CEO bigwigs had this to say about the agent comp issue, "f--- 'em where they breathe."

That sounds real encouraging.:skeptical:

Here in Georgia our insurance commissioner is running for Governor and of course, looking for support.,

I fired off a letter to him complaining about CMS and UHC and this big mess of agents not being paid. In other words, we have been LIED to by our Government agency, BAD FAITH on the part of our insurance co's, and CMS, and BREACH of CONTRACT....all items which if YOU committed as an agent....you would be pilloried, fined excessively, probably jailed, and definitely lose your license so you can't make a living.

I got a response from his team. Guess what? I'm the only agent in Georgia who has alerted them that commissions are withheld by these Med Advantage co's. The only one to complain!! Can that be true?

Sure...she acknowledged they have no control over Federal agencies...but they do regulate the licensed ins co's, who are not paying us.

The point is...where are you all hiding! Oh sure, there are a few who have made waves.and complained to our commissioners and politicians....but the rest of you posters are truly "all hat and no cowboy". Even you lurkers should get involved.

(I'm holding back too)

Latest posts

Back