New Florida Agent - Go Captive or Independent?

New2014

Hi Folks!
I'm a brand new agent who just got licensed. I've been in sales a long time so I'm confident and experienced, but never sold insurance yet.
From the research i've done i know I want to sell Final Expense, but I'm split 50 / 50 between deciding to go captive or join an insurance group and be semi independent.

What would you advise?

The subjects which could make me swing either way are leads & training.
If I went captive their is a reputation of great leads with certain companies.
If I went semi-independent and joined an insurance group then I understand i would get bigger percentage contracts, but either no leads or less quality leads?

Do you know or recommend any particular insurance groups that have good leads? or good guidance to buy them?

Another subject is training. Would you recommend going captive for a brand new agent to get good trainng?
or are there good insurance groups that provide training too?

I'm in Florida,
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Folks! I'm a brand new agent who just got licensed. I've been in sales a long time so I'm confident and experienced, but never sold insurance yet. From the research i've done i know I want to sell Final Expense, but I'm split 50 / 50 between deciding to go captive or join an insurance group and be semi independent. What would you advise? The subjects which could make me swing either way are leads & training. If I went captive their is a reputation of great leads with certain companies. If I went semi-independent and joined an insurance group then I understand i would get bigger percentage contracts, but either no leads or less quality leads? Do you know or recommend any particular insurance groups that have good leads? or good guidance to buy them? Another subject is training. Would you recommend going captive for a brand new agent to get good trainng? or are there good insurance groups that provide training too? I'm in Florida, Thanks in advance for any advice!

You definitely have the leads thing backwards. As an independent you work brand new fresh leads in what ever area you want to work every week. As a captive you usually work old re-worked leads where ever they want you to work which will be where your manager doesn't want to work.

Where in Florida are you?

Highly recommended outfits include FEXcontracting.com, Todd King, or Brad Aden at 360. These three can provide you all you're looking for and will release....(non-captive).

Thanks for the advice so far.

To answer a question, I'm in the Tampa / St. Petersburg / Clearwater area.

Thanks for the advice so far.

To answer a question, I'm in the Tampa / St. Petersburg / Clearwater area.

Since your in the Tampa area I would say check out Lincoln Heritage. My inventory is getting low.

I hope you get the sarcasm.

I live in Riverview. I've had several agents of the forum ride with me. I don't guaranty anything though.

Last edited:
I'm in the Tampa area- work all counties, Polk, Pinellas etc- Been selling for 12 years... You buy me lunch and get me drunk at a titty bar one night and I'll let you ride with me a couple days and I'll teach you everything you need to know about FE, what companies to have in your bag and I'll have you closing 50% of your sits

Back