P+C or L+H

Jhaaz

As a new agent that got my all-line licenses (Adjuster, P+C and L+H) . I want to sell in one area of insurance so I can focus on learning those products and market to that niche. I want to be a broker not a captive, but that brings up the problem of not have training, experience or carrier access. I have been 1099 for a couple decades and I just can't do w2. So my question is, is there MGAs or ISOs that actually take new people and have training programs. Leads would be nice but I can do my own digital and social media marketing. Not interesed in the MLM format or any business model that is similar to that. Is it easier to get started in P+C or L+H. I guess that is what I am trying to determine.

How did you experienced brokers start out? What path did you take?

Why not?

A year or two as somebody's employee can get you the experience you need to develop credibility with insurance companies that might appoint you as agent or broker.

I don't want to work set hours, or have meet quotas or some performance matrix. I perform better on my own terms. I did look into the captive agent but I could not stomach the sweat shop business model, especially the ones that wanted me to cold call(lol is this the 1980s).

You want to work when you feel like it, with no pressure to produce, without any background or training, and hope to succeed? "Sorry, I'll have to get back to you, I did not see any videos dealing with your question." "Let me run this through the Forum and get you the information"
You are walking into E&O death valley.

You want to work when you feel like it, with no pressure to produce, without any background or training, and hope to succeed? "Sorry, I'll have to get back to you, I did not see any videos dealing with your question." "Let me run this through the Forum and get you the information"
You are walking into E&O death valley.

No, that is not what I am saying or asking. I am asking if there is a way to become an independent broker without having to be a captive agent first. In other words, can a person get the training they need from alternative sources or possibly work with independent brokage to achieve this.

Adjusterjack asked why I didnt want to work as a w2 employee. The answer is I am much more productive working my own schedule and format than working working someone elses rule set. I already have a success company that I built up over two decades busting my ass 60-70 hours a week. I am just wanting to change industries. That does not mean I have any less drive to achieve this goal.

so I can focus on learning those products and market to that niche

I would suggest Life and drop the health until you've mastered the Life. Quick money for those that can grind. (I'm in FE)

Product is important, marketing is important, but; unless you have the skill set to make sales, you can have a PhD. in the first two and fail out of this profession in a short month.

That last part is a warning! Do your research and ask the questions before you pull the trigger. Far too many THINK they can, very few CAN.

All the best.

No, that is not what I am saying or asking. I am asking if there is a way to become an independent broker without having to be a captive agent first. In other words, can a person get the training they need from alternative sources or possibly work with independent brokage to achieve this.

Adjusterjack asked why I didnt want to work as a w2 employee. The answer is I am much more productive working my own schedule and format than working working someone elses rule set. I already have a success company that I built up over two decades busting my ass 60-70 hours a week. I am just wanting to change industries. That does not mean I have any less drive to achieve this goal.

Based on what you said, Life will be the easier start & in particular likely the Final Expense small face marketplace.

PC is nearly impossible to start completely independent unless you either pay hundreds of thousands/millions to buy established independent or you start scratch in an aggregator with 2nd or 3rd tier carriers working from home until you prove yourself for several years to get top tier carriers.

Some PC agents might be willing to appoint you as a 1099 commission only producer for them where they give you a larger percentage of the new production & a fraction of the renewals of their existing business & staff is servicing the accounts.

Some PC agents might be willing to appoint you as a 1099 commission only producer for them where they give you a larger percentage of the new production & a fraction of the renewals of their existing business & staff is servicing the accounts.

They're not gonna do that arrangement for someone brand new like this. I've only ever seen experienced producers with an existing book ever talk their way into that kind of arrangement on the P&C side

In other words, can a person get the training they need from alternative sources or possibly work with independent brokage to achieve this.

I already have a success company that I built up over two decades busting my ass 60-70 hours a week. I am just wanting to change industries. That does not mean I have any less drive to achieve this goal.

a. It will take you years to learn this career, and you need a good mentor. I've been through multiple carrier training programs and CIC courses. I'm still surprised how much there is to know. I work on the commercial P&C side

b. What kind of company do you currently have? Why would you want to switch careers after you've built it up and it's successful?

a. It will take you years to learn this career, and you need a good mentor. I've been through multiple carrier training programs and CIC courses. I'm still surprised how much there is to know. I work on the commercial P&C side

I figure that, dont know where to start at for the independent broker job, position, career. P+C MGA, GAs and other types don't seem to offer training for the most part it seems. I called a few of them and after I told them I was new they stopped talking. L+H FMOs seemed to be a lot helpful in training area for new people.

b. What kind of company do you currently have? Why would you want to switch careers after you've built it up and it's successful?[/QUOTE]

I have a residental real estate appraisal company. There is several reasons why. Technology is replacing my job for the most part. I dont want to drive hundreds of miles a day anymore. Interest rates directly control how much money I make. I want to get off the roller coaster and move to an industry that is more stable than Real Estate. I know insurance has its good things and bad things just like any industry does. I just dont want to be in Real Estate anymore.

Back