Part B Enrollement More Trouble Than Usual?

Well I may need to retract my earlier post. I've never had anyone have trouble getting an appointment with SSA for Part B SEP enrollment...until about an hour ago. Had a prospect call them today to take the RFEI and 40B forms in. She just called to tell me they told her they don't take appointments for that. Must be a new policy. Forms may be mailed or dropped off.

Well I may need to retract my earlier post. I've never had anyone have trouble getting an appointment with SSA for Part B SEP enrollment...until about an hour ago. Had a prospect call them today to take the RFEI and 40B forms in. She just called to tell me they told her they don't take appointments for that. Must be a new policy. Forms may be mailed or dropped off.

Word of advice I stress to my clients DO NOT mail to local SS office because it tends to get put on the to do stack and can take weeks whereas if they go in person it gets input right then.

I tell my clients if they walk in the local SS office with both forms already filled out they are usually put in an express line and usually out within 30 minutes.I have had a client apply 1 day and 2 days later they were enrolled in part B

Make sure you tell your clients they can apply within a 3 month window from the effective date they want . I had a client that went to local SS 6 months ahead of time and they couldn't input it at the time but they took his paperwork and it got put in to- do stack and guess what? - it didn't get processed until after his requested date.

Word of advice I stress to my clients DO NOT mail to local SS office because it tends to get put on the to do stack and can take weeks whereas if they go in person it gets input right then.

I tell my clients if they walk in the local SS office with both forms already filled out they are usually put in an express line and usually out within 30 minutes.I have had a client apply 1 day and 2 days later they were enrolled in part B

Make sure you tell your clients they can apply within a 3 month window from the effective date they want . I had a client that went to local SS 6 months ahead of time and they couldn't input it at the time but they took his paperwork and it got put in to- do stack and guess what? - it didn't get processed until after his requested date.

Good point. I recommended she walk it in and keep a copy. Mailing seems to create problems more often than not. It's also important that they write their requested Part B effective date in the remarks section of the 40B form.

It really has, working with centers of influence is where the majority of my business comes from.

That's great, thank you for the idea! I need to work on that a bit more, obtaining business related sources for referrals.

Well I may need to retract my earlier post. I've never had anyone have trouble getting an appointment with SSA for Part B SEP enrollment...until about an hour ago.

Now with you confirming it as well, I bet we can expect to see this happen a lot.

If this new policy is going to stick, people are going to be upset, and rightfully so, spending hours on the phone going in circles ending up at the same place they were before they even picked up the phone.

It's going to make our role a bit more tedious but now I can use the forms and have them drop it off, problem solved.

Thank you for those forms WC Mason.

Does the l564 apply to spouses as well? I have a spouse who wants their part B and to drop their spouses employer coverage.

The language seems to be for the employee.

I always call the HR worker that will be completing the request for employment information and tell them who you are working with ,and that they are welcome to send more your way...

...I prefer large employers.My approach is a smoother process for the retiring employee and and reduced workload for the HR worker vs saving money.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I found it in a search, and there's some good stuff here. Hey Central, I understand how this immensely helps the retiring employee, but how is this helping the HR employee or the company? It seems like a great marketing angle, but I guess I'm not seeing the value of it for the HR person in order to encourage them to give you referrals.

So can you walk me thru the process you take? Is it something like: meet with 65+ employee retiring in a couple months, give them form to apply for Medicare, fax RFEI form to HR department, call HR dept. to follow up on receipt of form and request referral, HR sends completed form to employee, employee drops of 2 forms at SSA office?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I found it in a search, and there's some good stuff here. Hey Central, I understand how this immensely helps the retiring employee, but how is this helping the HR employee or the company? It seems like a great marketing angle, but I guess I'm not seeing the value of it for the HR person in order to encourage them to give you referrals.

So can you walk me thru the process you take? Is it something like: meet with 65+ employee retiring in a couple months, give them form to apply for Medicare, fax RFEI form to HR department, call HR dept. to follow up on receipt of form and request referral, HR sends completed form to employee, employee drops of 2 forms at SSA office?

I need time to consider if the reward of converting you into a believer is enough of a reward to post my business process on an open forum :).

Last edited:
I need time to consider if the reward of converting you into a believer is enough of a reward to post my business process on an open forum :).

No need to "convert me", I believe what you're doing works, I'm just trying to understand it better. In order to sell my services to HR, I need to give them a reason to buy. Just wondering how you sell yourself effectively to them.

If you're worried about posting it in a public forum, the private message feature is always an option ;)

Back