Premium Free Part A Younger Spouse

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Someone turning 65 lacks 40 hours of substantial earnings (only has 24) but spouse, age 60, does have 40+ hours.

Can the T65 spouse use the younger spouses work credits now or does he have to wait until spouse is 65?

Someone turning 65 lacks 40 hours of substantial earnings (only has 24) but spouse, age 60, does have 40+ hours.

Can the T65 spouse use the younger spouses work credits now or does he have to wait until spouse is 65?
Not now. Spouse has to be eligible for SS and she's not. But minimum age is 62 so he only has 2 years to go.

BTW. None of the above applies to disability. Can't claim a spouse's work credits if they're disabled. Only retirement.

My wife, who is 2 years older than me, enrolled in Medicare part A & B at age 65 based on my work credits.

Nope but they can get a marketplace plan and still get a tax credit,

Back