Question on Med Supp Commission

That does not sound legitimate to me... at all. And 16% is low for most carriers (not all) - I hope they are giving you something in return for the low comp of 16%.

Not trying to threadjack here but - what would you consider a reasonable comp rate for an agent working out of an office (free leads/internet/phones)?

Asking for a friend....

Holy crap! No residual income? I would shoot myself. Hell I’ll give you full commission on first year and give you free leads if you’re willing to give me all your renewals

The deal but I like to work out is free leads and we split all the commission and renewals 50-50

Yes - a credit card and buy your own leads.

Seriously - I'm not trying to be a naysayer - but with Cigna (recruiters can correct me if I'm wrong) you can likely get close to 21-22% with most FMO's for 6 years (some states more).

You sold 85 policies. Great.

Let's say - average premium = 110

Free Leads = 110 * 85 * 12 * 16% = $17,952 1st year, $0 yr 2-6

No free leads = 110 * 85 * 12 * 21% = $23,562 1st year, $23,562 yrs 2-6 (give or take a little... you'll lose some....) = $140,000

So, you spent $116,000 on leads. Free leads are not free.

$18K income in less than 60 days in your pj's with no overhead, and people calling wanting insurance. A lot of people would love that gig, and some wouldn't. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

$18K income in less than 60 days in your pj's with no overhead, and people calling wanting insurance. A lot of people would love that gig, and some wouldn't. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I thought she said she used to work at a call center but these leads or outbound calls

I thought she said she used to work at a call center but these leads or outbound calls
Yeah, you may be correct. I know I read both posts, but I could have had my lines crossed up. Anyhow, it may be a good intro into going indy, or a good position to stay at. I think there's other factors to consider that are easily overlooked. Personally, I wouldnt do the gig, knowing only the factors mentioned, but it could still be a good opportunity for the right person at the right time in life.

85 apps were a combination of supplement, advantage, dental/vision, and HIP plans. Multiple companies; cigna, humana, aetna, mutual etc.

this is getting me used to the outbound calling, which is completely different than inbound. I'm also getting advantage plan experience.

Given the mix of products and carriers the compensation extrapolations done in an earlier post isn't applicable.

Am I to understand you are calling leads for Advantage plans?

Still curious if you are just selling in FL or other states.

Income projections can be all over the boards, especially beginning from a dead start.

Depending on how leads are generated, you can wait anywhere from a few days to several weeks before leads come in. If you want to telemarket (cold call) from a list you may be able to generate "leads" day one.

Turning lead prospects into clients and clients into income can happen in a few weeks or take months.

I used to work at a inbound call center and this current position is outbound calls.

I wish I had made $18,000 during AEP. Remember some of those 85 sales were RX plans. I only make $25 for an RX plan :/

I am licensed in all states. Yes the calls include advantage plans and rx plans. Calls are recorded and I am able to get verbal SOA. When/if someone wants to enroll, we disconnect the outgoing call, they get a number to call me back and I proceed with an electronic application.

The current leads are internet based. I also think this company purchases leads because sometimes I hear; "I just filled out the form requesting more information and you are the 4th person to call me in less than an hour" type rants. I know those other calls didn't come from my office so they aren't exclusive leads either.

I'm currently looking at Lead Heroes, to get an idea on costs. I'll do a board search to get other recommendations.

I've talked with the husband and I think I may try indy soon.

Given the mix of products and carriers the compensation extrapolations done in an earlier post isn't applicable.

Correct - those numbers are way off. Don't get me wrong... the haircut for free leads is still significant, but I was thinking 85 new med supp clients, not pdp's or other tertiary policies, etc...

"I just filled out the form requesting more information and you are the 4th person to call me in less than an hour" type rants. I know those other calls didn't come from my office so they aren't exclusive leads either.

There is no such thing as an exclusive lead, other than referrals and those you generate yourself (TM or door knocking).

Even leads generated by your personal website(s) are not exclusive.

Your job is to figure out a way to cut through the clutter. You have a bit more control with your own website and an autoresponder.

I've been trying to figure out a way to grow my business and I think I am going to follow this model.

Supply the leads. Pay 16%, when I get 20%. Then I get the next 6 years. This is an awesome business plan...for the agency owner!!!

Back