Rescind Medigap Policy?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Has anyone ever heard of a Medigap carrier rescinding a policy?

Just got a lady issued and now she is worried the carrier will come back and cancel her policy if she ever has a claim.

All the medical questions were "no" and the application had a 5 yr lookback. After submitting the application, and phone interview, she decided to check her medical files.

Seems she had a complete exam with EKG and other cardiac tests 4 years, 11 months and 22 days ago and now she is worried they will cancel her policy because she "lied" on the application.

I told her not to worry, especially since the policy effective date is a week after closure on the 5 year window.

I see no reason why the carrier would/could rescind the policy, especially since it was a routine test with no adverse medical conditions, but she is bummed out over this.

Has anyone ever heard of a Medigap carrier rescinding a policy?

Just got a lady issued and now she is worried the carrier will come back and cancel her policy if she ever has a claim.

All the medical questions were "no" and the application had a 5 yr lookback. After submitting the application, and phone interview, she decided to check her medical files.

Seems she had a complete exam with EKG and other cardiac tests 4 years, 11 months and 22 days ago and now she is worried they will cancel her policy because she "lied" on the application.

I told her not to worry, especially since the policy effective date is a week after closure on the 5 year window.

I see no reason why the carrier would/could rescind the policy, especially since it was a routine test with no adverse medical conditions, but she is bummed out over this.

I have heard of polices being rescinded but if all she had were tests with no findings, she should be OK. I am sure the application asks, "diagnosis of or treatment for.. Tests aren't treatment.

Like they said, if the test found no problems for which she was treated or a condition for which she was diagnosed, she is fine.

Continental used to rescind med supps, a lot. That being said I think this lady should be fine.

Did she? I mean what "no" question on the app is incorrect because tests with no adverse finding were performed almost five years ago?

(And if that is the case, we're talking some pretty tough underwriting.)

Latest posts

Back