• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Response to "I Need to Think About It"

"ok well let's go on and put this into underwriting cause it takes them at least a week to even decide if you even have to opportunity to get coverage. So we can let them be looking at you while you decide on them."

This will not work in health, many get issued sooner than one week these days (if you've done your job properly) and especially if you have healthy to somewhat healthy candidates.

This will not work in health, many get issued sooner than one week these days (if you've done your job properly) and especially if you have healthy to somewhat healthy candidates.

very true...like i said I don't use this tactic anymore.

It worked for me with health cause I used to sell Assurant Health. If someone is paying with EFT it takes Assurant 15 days in order to process the payment. (Though they do send a letter out also) That would give me a little more time to let them "think"

I have several things that are negating me even having to deal with this now.

#1 I have an office and I am not selling out of a car
#2 I have opened my market to more than Assurant
#3 I have improved on my salesman skills a lot more then what they used to be

I don't get very many "think about it's". A few key questions after I ask them about their situation and what they are trying to accomplish:

"Ted, how soon are you looking to get something started?"

"Ted, if you're really serious about looking into your options to get something going and you're willing to give me a fair shot at your business if I can help, I would be more than happy to put together some options and spend some time educating you on what's available. If it's not too much of a concern right now, I'd say let's wait until the time gets closer and review them at that point."

"If you decide to get something started, the next step is to put in an application to get a firm offer from the carrier(s). I'll bring the applications with me and if we find an option to start with, we can fill it out and get it submitted. Are you comfortable with that process?"

I say some version of those three in virtually every selling situation before putting together any options. When they know what to expect and that I expect to be paid for the work I do if I can help them, "let's think it over" doesn't come up very often, I can't remember the last time off hand. Super salesman, no. Perfect science, no. I just cut out those who aren't serious about paying for my help in the front end.

Last edited:
Good stuff, glad to see you don't throttle your clients, LOL

I don't get very many "think about it's". A few key questions after I ask them about their situation and what they are trying to accomplish:

"Ted, if you're really serious about looking into your options to get something going and you're willing to give me a fair shot at your business if I can help, I would be more than happy to put together some options and spend some time educating you on what's available. If it's not too much of a concern right now, I'd say let's wait until the time gets closer and review them at that point."

"If you decide to get something started, the next step is to put in an application to get a firm offer from the carrier(s). I'll bring the applications with me and if we find an option to start with, we can fill it out and get it submitted. Are you comfortable with that process?"

I say some version of those three in virtually every selling situation before putting together any options. When they know what to expect and that I expect to be paid for the work I do if I can help them, "let's think it over" doesn't come up very often, I can't remember the last time off hand. Super salesman, no. Perfect science, no. I just cut out those who aren't serious about paying for my help in the front end.

Good stuff.

You of all people should know ignorance can be overcome, by properly educating the client (which seems a part of your approach). Can you turn everyone around? Of course not, but many will "get" it if you explain things in a simple concise manner.

I say a client is buying unless they're dead or dead broke

There are two things an agent can't combat in this business. Poverty and ignorance. The kind of ignorance where someone will not listen to reason and refuses to become better informed.

One needs to learn to identify those early in the conversation.

I agree about the selling on the front end. However, some people just don't want to buy (BIG difference between buying and being sold). It is smart to always listen, repeat what the customer says, then expand on how your product can help their situation. Probing, open ended questions, will minimize that response.

Just my 2 cents

I'd say that's worth more than two cents.

I agree about the selling on the front end. However, some people just don't want to buy (BIG difference between buying and being sold). It is smart to always listen, repeat what the customer says, then expand on how your product can help their situation. Probing, open ended questions, will minimize that response.

Just my 2 cents

Back