Setting Boundaries/Drawing the Line With Difficult Clients

I have been trying to think out how to say something and I am glad to see Bevo's post because it ties in perfectly.

Last fall I had an interesting phone conversation with my agent that goes directly to your question.

I have been one to look at several different drug combinations and/or drug and pharmacy combinations when looking at plans. One driver of that is kgmom's past comments about the "best" (most cost effective) drug plan carrier and preferred pharmacy combination can change each year. So one of the first steps she recommended for a given year was running a test drug list against multiple pharmacies. For example you would make a list and run it against CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, and Kroger to start getting a sense of where better tier options might fall. So I had 4-5 different drug lists and was looking at those with different pharmacies.

I finally decided what I wanted to do and called my agent. He told me his agency did not service that drug plan and I would need to enroll on my own and do my own support for it. (Which I had no problem with.)

When I told him what I had done, he laughed and told me about one of his other clients. After providing her current drug list and current pharmacy and getting back the recommended plan information from his staff, she would then call back multiple times asking for additional searches for assorted contingencies. (the following info is not precise, but it will give you the idea of what went on.)

His agency, staff and himself, worked with the situation for the first year. The next year started in as a repeat of the first. At about the third request she made for contingent evaluations, he made an appointment, went to her home and showed her how to use the plan finder.

He made it crystal clear to her that going forward, his agency would make one recommendation to her. They would take her list of currently prescribed drugs and the pharmacy she currently used and provide her with a plan recommendation based on those parameters. If she wanted any additional evaluations, she would have to do them herself and they could then enroll her in the plan she wanted (assuming they represented that plan).

I can't remember if the client stayed or left.

LOL, I am not surprised he told you that

@Northeast Agent if you don't have a dedicated business landline pick up a 2nd wireless phone. Either port your existing number that all your clients have and abuse to the new line, or dedicate the new line to anything but business.

Your clients have trained you well to respond to their every need. Now it is time for you to train them.

If you lose a few (probably won't) so what? They were not profitable for you.

I have a long time client who calls every year during AEP. All she wants to do is complain about everything, especially her drug plan.

Last year she called right after Thanksgiving. I gave her 5 minutes then she started to complain. So I stopped her right there and told her I could not help her now, or ever. Go find another agent.

And I hung up.

She called back. I did not answer.

An hour later her husband called and asked for help with his drug plan. He is never any problem. I was on the phone about 10 minutes and get him set up.

He never mentioned his wife. Neither did I.

@Northeast Agent if you don't have a dedicated business landline pick up a 2nd wireless phone. Either port your existing number that all your clients have and abuse to the new line, or dedicate the new line to anything but business.

Your clients have trained you well to respond to their every need. Now it is time for you to train them.

I have a long time client who calls every year during AEP. All she wants to do is complain about everything, especially her drug plan.

Last year she called right after Thanksgiving. I gave her 5 minutes then she started to complain. So I stopped her right there and told her I could not help her now, or ever. Go find another agent.

And I hung up.

An hour later her husband called and asked for help with his drug plan. He is never any problem. I was on the phone about 10 minutes and get him set up.

Now, That is funny

He knows his wife that is why

And I hung up.

I had this situation once, but opposite. The husband kept letting agents in the house and he would do whatever they told him to. I bailed him out 3 times and told him the next time he does it, don't call me to fix it. Well, sure enough he let it happen again and then called me to help him. I reminded him of what I told him the last time and stated that he had already cost me enough money and I wasn't going to do any more business with him. The wife asked if I would still do business with her. I told her, no problem! Never heard from him again.

What hours do you run your business and make yourself available to clients? Where do you draw the line at demands?

I'm mostly a field agent and tell clients they can reach me between 8:30am - 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. If they let me know ahead of time, I can schedule something in the evening or a Saturday morning. No Sundays.

However, I have a few (like everyone else) that are needy, demanding or just a p.i.t.a. They call in the evenings, early a.m. and weekends. If they can't reach me by phone, they will text and/or email.

One lady (neighbor) called on Sunday and left a message about the Donut Hole and demanded a call back. I stood my ground and didn't call her back until yesterday morning. Reminded her that I've sent her information several times about the SPAP, which she and her husband may qualify for. I went by her place, dropped off the information again and listened to her rant about Part D. She's very secretive about their finances and thinks everyone is out to "get" them.

Another new client is a fellow agent. He knows enough about Medicare to be dangerous, but not enough to sell it. I recently enrolled him in N (no excess charges in PA) and Envision Rx (not on any drugs). He hemmed and hawed between this and G for a while. A few days later he called and left two frantic messages early in the a.m. When I called him back at 8:30 a.m. and asked what the emergency was, he said his buddy's, "Medicare Girl" told him to get on G and a different PDP. He was freaking out about if he needs a "medium" PDP in case he "gets cancer" someday. I again told him he can change plans during AEP, and if that's a concern (he also has a cancer plan he wrote himself) he can research possible drugs for hypothetical cancers and I'll look up the tiers and he can switch plans. He's an older single father and said he heard there's special plans for those on Medicare with minor children and wanted me to research this. I said there's no such thing, I don't have time to research this and now he's not speaking to me.

Very few clients have my cell phone number for the reasons you describe. I protect my personal time as much as possible. I will go above and beyond for my clients, but I'm not giving up my nights and weekends for them.

I've fired clients before because they were difficult. I had a heart to heart with them and when things didn't change, I told them it would be best if they found someone else to assist them in the future.

I use my "Spidey Sense" and kick them to the crib before they become clients.
One of my med supp clients called me and asked if I could help her younger sister.
I said yes and called the younger sister. Found out she doesn't drive.
No problem, her house was about 5 blocks from my office.
I arrived at her house and we went over the med supp & Part D.
We were starting to complete the applications when she gets a telephone call.
She excuses herself and takes the call.
I can hear her chatting about nothing important.
After 15 minutes, I had enough. I collect my papers and start to walk to her door.
She stops me and asks were I was going??
I told her I was busy and she should call someone else to help her.

Last edited:
vic120 said:

AS far as the last I would say there is no such thing, There may be plans for minor children only not with a parent on it, you can check out healthcare.gov, I don't do under 65.

His son has coverage through PA CHIP. My client had ACA through the Exchange with a big subsidy. It was $0 for several years then went to $80 last year. Now he's mad he's payingPart B and has a monthly premium for the Supp and Part D. He may qualify for our State's SPAP, but not LIS. Like I said, he sells insurance, but just very part-time, as he took his Social Security early and can only make so much money until his full age of retirement.

somarco said:

if you don't have a dedicated business landline pick up a 2nd wireless phone. Either port your existing number that all your clients have and abuse to the new line, or dedicate the new line to anything but business.

Good idea, will do.

A Google Voice number may help also.

I like being able to use it to text my clients from my desktop using my full-size keyboard and large monitor. I can also call and answer from my desktop, office landline or cell and they see the GV number on the caller ID. When I enter their contact info I add bits of info such as Mary Smith - Client - Hus= John. Also, all of our previous text are all there in order. I just scroll through that to refresh my memory on what we have done before.

Back