Strangest Marketing Idea Ever, That Worked!?!?

I absolutely agree with you healthagent. But imagine finding that one or two reps that take this concept and run (like the wind).

Heck, I went through 5 or 6 CSR's before I finally found that diamond in the rough. And, she was worth every headache that I endured to try to find her.

One really good individual could suppply enough leads to keep a person busy and they could make decent money.

True - but you will also need to train them. You absolutely cannot simply tell them what to do - you'll need to show them what to do.

Again, I know the math on this inside and out...hence why I never pursued it. If you trained 10 reps you'll have 1 who will be capable of doing it. That person will last a few weeks and quit.

When I ran the DtoD outfit and gas/electric deregulation we interviewed on average 50 people a day and hoped we had 5 or 6 stick at the end of the week.

At the end of a year - 50 people a day being interviewed 5 days a week an average office had around 20 solid reps who stuck around. Everyone else you got a few days work out of before they quit.

No mystery here - most people who rather walk over broken glass then cold call on commission.

Rain? They don't show? Too hot? They won't show. Too cold? They won't show? Not in the mood? They won't show. And here's irony for you - they make too much to quickly - they won't show until they're broke.

John: How would you do this: "You'd have to set up a system to only pay for verified leads."

Aaron

I am not familiar with Facebook..... What do you mean? Are you thinking of something that has gone completely over my head? Please elaborate?

Facebook is one current darling of the social networking world. It's a website where people create profiles, connect with their friends, and interact online. There's a built in network effect between trusted relationships (where you tell your friends about something, they tell their friends, and so on).

Here's an example: Last Friday I bought movie tickets to see 'Slumdog Millionaire' on Fandango. At the end of the purchase process, a little message popped up asking if I wanted to add a note on my facebook page saying that I'm going to see the movie. I say "yes", it shows up on my page. Next thing I know, a friend in Alaska is asking me what I thought of the movie (it's fantastic, btw). Their friends see that they asked about it, and so on. Suddenly, my act of buying movie tickets has turned into a discussion between two friends that trust each others' opinions about the movie. To the movie studio, this is way better than any ad they could buy.

If you want to know more about social media, we've recently published a free guide you can download, "A Quick Tour of the Social Media Landscape." There's a short form to fill out, but I promise we're gentle with your contact information.

I'm happy to answer any questions! And do ask your teenage daughter about Facebook as well - you'll probably get a very different but equally true answer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, and not related to facebook, could there be a way to reduce the forgeries and people pushing too hard by applying a close rate multiple to their earnings? If, for example, you offer $40 a lead x the close rate, your street team is incentivized to find good leads, and the bad performers will naturally drop out because they aren't making any money. Someone doing great and bringing in leads that close 25% of the time gets $10/lead, while someone bringing in bad leads that close 5% of the time gets $2/lead. Might need to tweak the numbers, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Oh, and not related to facebook, could there be a way to reduce the forgeries and people pushing too hard by applying a close rate multiple to their earnings? If, for example, you offer $40 a lead x the close rate, your street team is incentivized to find good leads, and the bad performers will naturally drop out because they aren't making any money. Someone doing great and bringing in leads that close 25% of the time gets $10/lead, while someone bringing in bad leads that close 5% of the time gets $2/lead. Might need to tweak the numbers, but you get the idea.

I could very well be wrong - but I think this crosses the line marketing rep and sales rep. I don't believe you're allowed to "reward" a rep based on closing the sale without them being licensed. You'd have to pay the same $/lead regardless of end result.

Back