The Initial Fear of Talking to People

Toastmaster will help you overcome this. It is not a perfect solution but the more practice you have the better you become.

ewilkins said:
How did you successful guys and gals get over the initial fear of talking to people? I finally got some courage earlier this week and walked into some offices with some brochures. I simply attached my business card to them, handed them over, told them to have a nice day and left. I figured that would be a good way for me to get started. Even that left me nervous as hell. I want to do this business and I'm okay when I THINK about doing these different forms of marketing. It's when I actually DO it that gets me. Anyone else have any fear of this? I'm hoping it doesn't mean that I'm not right for this business. It's a fear I need to get over. I'm going to start attending Toastmasters in hopes it can help me.

Talk to more people. When you go into the business try and talk to a decision maker even if you can't talk to them get their info and call them back saying you stopped into their business... The amount of people who will call you back off of a flyer is extremely small.

How did you successful guys and gals get over the initial fear of talking to people? I finally got some courage earlier this week and walked into some offices with some brochures. I simply attached my business card to them, handed them over, told them to have a nice day and left. I figured that would be a good way for me to get started. Even that left me nervous as hell. I want to do this business and I'm okay when I THINK about doing these different forms of marketing. It's when I actually DO it that gets me. Anyone else have any fear of this? I'm hoping it doesn't mean that I'm not right for this business. It's a fear I need to get over. I'm going to start attending Toastmasters in hopes it can help me.

Work more on "low pressure" situations where a potential sale is not on the line. Ask a your waitress/waiter a question or two. Something like how they like working here. When standing in line try and talk to the person in front or behind you.

Some people get more comfortable with it the more they talk to people. Other people never get compfortable with talking to strangers. Personally I love meeting people and talking with them. My brother is the opposite. I know his neigbors better than he does.

You are to be commended for trying to find solutions rather than let it defeat you.

sherd

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I've really been sweating this. I really want to have a career in this industry though and I'm willing to do what it takes to break this fear and succeed.

Someone said "Successful people form the habit of doing the things unsuccessful people aren't willing to do". That's fine as far as it goes, but Wayne Cotton (www.cottonsystems.com) says instead to find a way to do the things you must do in a way that doesn't grind you to powder.

Grinding it out every day doing things that leave you in an emotional puddle is no way to live. There are many answers to your question, but the most important one is this:

Believe in what you're doing and see its value for the people you're working with.

There's more, but unless you get that one first, the others won't matter.
Very well said by larry...Hates off.

I second Toastmasters...as I am a member.

All the advise given here has been great. I would also recommend the book How to make friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie.

Since the thread was just recently bumped...

Someone said "Successful people form the habit of doing the things unsuccessful people aren't willing to do". That's fine as far as it goes, but Wayne Cotton (www.cottonsystems.com) says instead to find a way to do the things you must do in a way that doesn't grind you to powder.

Grinding it out every day doing things that leave you in an emotional puddle is no way to live. There are many answers to your question, but the most important one is this:

Believe in what you're doing and see its value for the people you're working with.

There's more, but unless you get that one first, the others won't matter.

ProducersWeb - My Practice - The common denominator of success

You just have to realize that the worst thing that can happen is they tell you no, or go away. Sometimes we build things up so much that 99% of things in life are no big deal.

You know ive been in phone sales for years

Medicare for last 3 years, other industries before

you know I've had those mornings where I would just feel it in my stomach
and also when having to call some hard follow ups
and I've just sucked it up, And I have been successful doing this but;

But I read something on this forum that changed that
Someone said if your offering good products and truly trying to help people
then just remember all your trying to do is help people

I use that and couple it with some one else's tag
so will some wont who cares

So now I remind my self everyday All I am doing is helping people
some will some wont who cares