Tips For Cold Calling for Telesales

MindfulAction

New agent here. I’m currently looking into cold calling as a supplemental lead flow to my TM callback leads.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips with regards to scripting or anything like that. I am in telesales by the way, so I don’t do any f2f sales.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been a huge help. I really appreciate all the helpful experienced agents sharing their wisdom!

New agent here. I’m currently looking into cold calling as a supplemental lead flow to my TM callback leads.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips with regards to scripting or anything like that. I am in telesales by the way, so I don’t do any f2f sales.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been a huge help. I really appreciate all the helpful experienced agents sharing their wisdom!
Get more leads, and add more states.

TM Callback Leads? Sounds like you're with Digital BGA.
Value your time - cold calling? Crazy...
Buy more leads. Even garbage FB leads are better than cold calling.

Well, it's still cold calling, just slightly more targeted

Hi. I hear what you're saying but it's not quite "cold calling":

cold-call
/ˈkōl(d) ˌkôl/
verb
gerund or present participle: cold-calling
- make an unsolicited call on (someone), by phone or in person, in an attempt to sell goods or services.

Calling back a FB lead or an internet "they filled out some generic form" lead - neither are cold calls - the consumer took some action...somewhere...for something...and gave their contact info. Not an unsolicited call when you try to get them to pickup the phone...

The TM callback lead which yes did originate as a cold call (for the outbound call center) using a targeted list - it was no longer a cold call for the Agent - once that lead agreed to be contacted...again you're chasing them to pick up the phone.

The ONLY long term, sane way to make a living in Final Expense is to have PROSPECTS (a lead is not a PROSPECT) call/contact you directly. For f2f - direct mail has been the staple method - it does and still works.

For telesales there are 2 ways to work with inbound PROSPECTS...(that's people taking action and contacting you):
  1. With your own google optimized website hopefully getting to page 1 or 2 while competing with the paid google ads. That will probably take you about $200k+ and 2+ years of effort with no guarantees (don't believe anyone who claims to be a guru and tells you otherwise after paying them $$ for a "mastermind" course it's more a "masterbater" course they're selling) or
  2. With the ultimate lead. Inbound calls from TV commercials. Once you've experienced these - nothing else will compare. PM me for more info on getting set up with incoming TV calls from real prospects...

It's a higher qualified cold call, but it's still a cold call until you reach them and they requalify interest. We're essential saying the same thing, it's either a really cold lead OR a really warm cold call.

I would agree with Barry that diversifying your lead gen is always a plus. However, it's not going to cost you 200k to generate leads.. unless you're trying to put a pricetag on time.

If you go to a SEO vendor, okay.. probably true.
Doing it yourself, poppycock AND to a degree the lead/sanity comment is shenanigans too.

Now, as someone who only talks to prospects, I do agree that it makes life excessively more enjoyable to not cold call or chase leads. You CAN accomplish this by TV leads OR just hiring a TM to call your leads for you and only transfer people that are prospects.

I work in the Medicare Market, so my situation is somewhat different, but instead of cold calling I would definitely spend time working more leads and prospects vs spending YOUR time cold calling.

Last edited:
Cold calling is calling people off a list. Calling leads is not considered cold calling by 99% of agents/salespeople.

I'm okay being the 1% that still considers that a contact isn't truly a lead until you establish contact and express a marginal level of interest. Especially considering the ease of pre-populated Facebook forms.

I can definitely agree that you can call it a lead if you'd like, but with the ease of filling out forms on Facebook taking pre-populated info... I don't.

Last edited:
Hi. I hear what you're saying but
  1. With your own google optimized website hopefully getting to page 1 or 2 while competing with the paid google ads. That will probably take you about $200k+ and 2+ years of effort with no guarantees (don't believe anyone who claims to be a guru and tells you otherwise after paying them $$ for a "mastermind" course it's more a "masterbater" course they're selling)

All of this post is related to national SEO. Local SEO is different.

It sad to say, but it's going to take MUCH longer than 2 years now. Having 200k in capital to invest might shave off a year or two by hiring a trustworthy company to build quality links. Even if you did invest that much or more, its still going to be 3-5 years before you get enough traffic to write big premium (over 100k annually) strictly from organic visits. That last statement is also assuming said person is genuinely putting in 20+ hours per week of work for that 3-5 year span.

The Google algorithm flat out does not trust websites in a YMYL space without a ton (and I do mean a ton) high quality links. I hope that changes, but it doesn't look like it.

When I started my site in 2016, things were different and smaller lower authority sites had the opportunity to rank in the top 5 results for lots of keywords by producing amazing content that excelled at satisfying search intent. While that is true to a certain degree now, its just not the same environment. Google has changed. They place more value on trust now than they do how good your content is.

There are lots of final expense websites that have popped up due to the success of my site. I know many of them in fact. I genuinely want to see them succeed. As much as I try to stress this, nobody seems to get it.

You either build quality links and get a ton of them, or don't bother trying. People don't do it though because its' very hard and takes years to do.

For someone looking for inbound calls or prospects who are ready to buy, I don't suggest they go the Google route unless they are prepared to work a ton and wait a long long time before that effort pays off.

Your TV lead suggestion would be much better for 99.7% of agents.

Oh and page 2 of any search engine is worthless. Only page 1 gets clicks.

Last edited:
Back