• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Truth About Farmers Ins.

Thanks Josh! Is that what most of the belly-aching is about? Higher rates. It seems like many people claim that Farmers screwed them somehow or Farmers didn't follow thru with what was promised.

It's a mix. Farmers doesn't have a super strict vetting process (especially if you compare it to Allstate or State Farm) so just about anyone can start there. The downside with that is many people who have no business selling have a bad experience. There are also a lot of talented folks that don't start off super organized so they end up struggling as well. Another group of folks just find the grass is greener on the other side.

It's a mix. Farmers doesn't have a super strict vetting process (especially if you compare it to Allstate or State Farm) so just about anyone can start there. The downside with that is many people who have no business selling have a bad experience. There are also a lot of talented folks that don't start off super organized so they end up struggling as well. Another group of folks just find the grass is greener on the other side.

Thats kinda what I figured. As I mentioned, I think most of the complaining is coming from folks who did not meet their quotas.

if you can buy a new car for $12,000 and the guy 2 blocks away has the same car with upgrades, and is only charging $11,000, where do you go.

Let me guess, your a guy or your wife goes to 2 or 3 different grocery stores to save money.

Stop drinking the farmers kool-aid, they teach you, rate doesnt matter, well, rate does matter.

Let me tell you this....I have a couple farmers agents as my clients in my IA agency....why? Because even with their commission we are cheaper AND they know I offer a better product.

Now that we answered your question, who do you work for?

Rick

I don't work for anyone....yet. I am still making my decision on what direction I am going to go.

----------

if you can buy a new car for $12,000 and the guy 2 blocks away has the same car with upgrades, and is only charging $11,000, where do you go.

Let me guess, your a guy or your wife goes to 2 or 3 different grocery stores to save money.

Stop drinking the farmers kool-aid, they teach you, rate doesnt matter, well, rate does matter.

Let me tell you this....I have a couple farmers agents as my clients in my IA agency....why? Because even with their commission we are cheaper AND they know I offer a better product.

I agree with you to a certain extent. There will always be a cheaper price. Also, you get what you pay for. There are no shortage of shoty carriers out there. I think more and more people are wanting to be with reputable companies. And I can tell you if you are looking for customers who are shopping on price, you are not building a solid BOB. They will leave you next year when John's Ins offers them a cheaper price. I have first hand experience with this. We got several quotes and Farmers was the cheapest. We went with Farmers. After 2 years and 1 ticket they went up so we switched to Allstate. It is like night and day in terms of dealing with the agent. Our Allstate agent SUCKS! Our farmers agent was GREAT! I realize this has nothing to do with the companies but rather people. And that my friend is what we are selling....ourselves. We switched back to our old Farmers agent.

I don't work for anyone....yet. I am still making my decision on what direction I am going to go.

Yet it seems you're drinking the Farmers Kool-Aid about "quality" vs. low price. It's not unheard of to have both.

You are on a forum of mainly independent agents. We're generally not buying the typical company bullcrap. You're not even working for them but explaining to experienced agents why they are a great choice.

Rick

Yet it seems you're drinking the Farmers Kool-Aid about "quality" vs. low price. It's not unheard of to have both.

You are on a forum of mainly independent agents. We're generally not buying the typical company bullcrap. You're not even working for them but explaining to experienced agents why they are a great choice.

Rick

Actually, I simply posted for those who have VALID complaints to voice them. Great choice is different to each on their own. What is a great choice for me might not be for you.

Thanks.

I agree with you to a certain extent. There will always be a cheaper price. Also, you get what you pay for. There are no shortage of shoty carriers out there. I think more and more people are wanting to be with reputable companies. And I can tell you if you are looking for customers who are shopping on price, you are not building a solid BOB. They will leave you next year when John's Ins offers them a cheaper price. I have first hand experience with this. We got several quotes and Farmers was the cheapest. We went with Farmers. After 2 years and 1 ticket they went up so we switched to Allstate. It is like night and day in terms of dealing with the agent. Our Allstate agent SUCKS! Our farmers agent was GREAT! I realize this has nothing to do with the companies but rather people. And that my friend is what we are selling....ourselves. We switched back to our old Farmers agent.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. To most people car insurance is a commodity and shopped for on price alone. I think an agent brings a huge advantage when it comes to explaining coverages and why spending a couple of bucks more is valuable, but that's more to do with coverage levels vs the carrier. I was an Allstate agent and I don't think I sucked, neither did the clients. There are also Farmers agents that suck.

So you switched to Allstate for premium, but what did the Allstate agent do that makes him so bad that you're willing to publicly say "SUCKS!"? At claim time you're not really dealing with an agent, you're dealing with the carrier. You write your check out to the carrier.

I'm not dismissing your points entirely, but virtually all marketing and consumer opinion make auto and homeowners a commodity, not a premium service.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. To most people car insurance is a commodity and shopped for on price alone. I think an agent brings a huge advantage when it comes to explaining coverages and why spending a couple of bucks more is valuable, but that's more to do with coverage levels vs the carrier. I was an Allstate agent and I don't think I sucked, neither did the clients. There are also Farmers agents that suck.

So you switched to Allstate for premium, but what did the Allstate agent do that makes him so bad that you're willing to publicly say "SUCKS!"? At claim time you're not really dealing with an agent, you're dealing with the carrier. You write your check out to the carrier.

I'm not dismissing your points entirely, but virtually all marketing and consumer opinion make auto and homeowners a commodity, not a premium service.

Just so we are clear I didn't say Allstate sucks I said the agent sucks. And that doesn't mean ALL Allstate agents. I just don't care for ours. And though it's publicly he is not identified anywhere in the thread - nor will he be.

Back