Truth About Farmers Ins.

Just so we are clear I didn't say Allstate sucks I said the agent sucks. And that doesn't mean ALL Allstate agents. I just don't care for ours. And though it's publicly he is not identified anywhere in the thread - nor will he be.

Which is great.

That said, for science, what do you think makes him so bad?

Which is great.

That said, for science, what do you think makes him so bad?

From the minute we signed up it was a bad experience. I asked him for a home quote and he never got back to me. I bought a new car and they never sent POI to the lien holder. His over-all personality is just a huge put off. I wouldn't say that he "sucks" I would just say he's not a very good agent. Maybe "sucks" is too harsh.

From the minute we signed up it was a bad experience. I asked him for a home quote and he never got back to me. I bought a new car and they never sent POI to the lien holder. His over-all personality is just a huge put off. I wouldn't say that he "sucks" I would just say he's not a very good agent. Maybe "sucks" is too harsh.

So why didn't you just switch to another Allstate agent?

Certainly the agent matters, but it would be foolish to think you could build an agency with a carrier that is uncompetitive in the area because the agent is "nice".

Nice is only going to get you so far, when you premium is 20%, 30% or even more above other carriers, you are going to lose people no matter how much they like you.

I don't work for anyone....yet. I am still making my decision on what direction I am going to go.

----------

I agree with you to a certain extent. There will always be a cheaper price. Also, you get what you pay for. There are no shortage of shoty carriers out there. I think more and more people are wanting to be with reputable companies. And I can tell you if you are looking for customers who are shopping on price, you are not building a solid BOB. They will leave you next year when John's Ins offers them a cheaper price. I have first hand experience with this. We got several quotes and Farmers was the cheapest. We went with Farmers. After 2 years and 1 ticket they went up so we switched to Allstate. It is like night and day in terms of dealing with the agent. Our Allstate agent SUCKS! Our farmers agent was GREAT! I realize this has nothing to do with the companies but rather people. And that my friend is what we are selling....ourselves. We switched back to our old Farmers agent.

wrong.....people used to pay more for a name, now, they dont. Only once in my 5 years as an IA have i had a prospect say to me, I never heard of that company, who else do you have?

its all about the money with 90% of people

of course people that dont hit a quota will be writing online reviews. 90% of people that write reviews for anything are pissed - u have a good experience you tell 1 person you have a bad one buying something the whole frikn world needs to know. Frustration happens at two points with Farmers agents - IMO

At first IF they are struggling to sell

After they are established and realize the limitations of their Direct Writer.

You will see most of the first kind on reviews online.

positive note - training is good for a beginner but you will not see reviews online about how much they learned its all about that $$$$$

iProtect,

Well, let me say this, and many of the others have said the same thing. As an indy you have more control over expense ratio, you sell the best product, coverages, and price for the client. (Which you always have.)

Imagine this scenario: You are selling in CO and hail keeps hitting the state. Farmers decides to go to a 2% wind Hail ded and you are forced t sell this and try to keep your renewal book from leaving you. Your 1,500 policies are laterally walking out the door, and there is no sale in the world to keep them. The Indy companies like Hart, Safeco, Allied, Met, Travelers all take rate but stay away from a 2% ded. At this point the Farmers product is inferior given the fact that a 500k home via F has a 10k ded and the Safeco policy has a $1,000 ded. Now imagine selling the two at the same price point. Who is going to win that battle?

Who will win when the household WP is $3,000 at F and $2,500 at Metlife? Met has a great policy that will go toe to toe on coverage's. Most do.

Who will win that policy when F and Met both take an increase and the two policies are priced evenly? Trick question: They both lose and Safeco swoops in to take the policy. But the Indy agent keeps the policy in house.

Indy carriers often have more robust products, commissions, better prices.

So let's say you eat and breathe Glenngary Glen Ross. You are a closer and Coffee is for closers. Cool, but think about the money Farmers and Geico and Progressive and all the others spend on advertising to convince your future clients ins is just a commodity. (It is not true, but BILLIONS are spent every year teaching us it is. In fact it is so significant that agents buy into that too.)

Food for thought.

Last edited:
iProtect, Farmers...Lousy Sellers.... Complainers...

Hey, Shawnmwalker....I'd venture to guess you where never a farmers agent or owned an agency. I'd venture that 2/3rds of the people on here haven't been a captive before.

So let's start with I WAS a farmers agent and your comments make you look slightly stupid.
I mean all IA agents aren't that amazing. I talk to plenty of you who could sell ice in a desert!

Give farmers and other captive agents some respect. Most have far more skills at "selling" than you probably.

They "sell" an over priced product not on PRICE like you but on VALUE. I'd venture to say an agent who builds a book from scratch as a captive is pretty damn good at sales.

Now I left farmers for the IA side due to wanting more money and for no other reason.

So before you sound stupid again slow your roll on how much their agents suck there are just as many crappy IA agents in the world.

Hey, Shawnmwalker....I'd venture to guess you where never a farmers agent or owned an agency. I'd venture that 2/3rds of the people on here haven't been a captive before.

So let's start with I WAS a farmers agent and your comments make you look slightly stupid.
I mean all IA agents aren't that amazing. I talk to plenty of you who could sell ice in a desert!

Give farmers and other captive agents some respect. Most have far more skills at "selling" than you probably.

They "sell" an over priced product not on PRICE like you but on VALUE. I'd venture to say an agent who builds a book from scratch as a captive is pretty damn good at sales.

Now I left farmers for the IA side due to wanting more money and for no other reason.

So before you sound stupid again slow your roll on how much their agents suck there are just as many crappy IA agents in the world.

Are you suggesting that you sold value or since Farmers was the only product you could sell you had no choice but to try to convince a prospect of something that didn't exist?

What would have been Farmer's value over another carrier that might be 20% lower. In other words, for a much higher premium, what's the value?

My issue with captive agents is 100% because of my indy mentality. I was captive with Secure Horizons for 18 months but had a hard time because I wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid. I can't help but wonder if it's the company Kool-Aid that people have to swallow to be captive.

Rick

This is Shawn M. Walker,

This is to Jeffery....

I left my computer at work. But wanted to respond to the comment after mine just a few above.

I in no way was accusing Farmers agents or any other captive of being lousy sellers. I think captives are great sellers.

My first line in my post was summing up what I thought was the theme of the thread, but in no way what I think about Captive agents and their ability to sell. I have a lot of respct for captives and their sales ability.

Sorry if there was a miscommunication. I could see how that got misinterpreted.

Regards,

Shawn M. Walker

Last edited:

So you left a company where you sold their products based on VALUE, becasue they provided more VALUE than the competitor's IAs were selling. So now, in order to make more money, you are an IA selling your clients policies that have less VALUE than what you could be selling them if you stayed at Farmers? :skeptical:

Back