Under 65 Disabled/Med Supp Commission

David Taylor Jr said:

Why not just take the 1%?

I did take it, and the Part D. There was no opportunity to cross-sell DVH as she already has it.

My question was, is there carriers that pay more than 1%? I'll check out Cigna as Vic suggested, but they currrently aren't really competitive here.

I'm so used to Under 65 clients being DSNPs, or partials anyway these two threw me off.

Ive learned 1% is not worth providing cust service or having under my E and O, These cases generally don't end up in refuels and take's time, Especially GI when additional documentation is needed. This takes away from time prospecting or servicing other clients

I do provide the info they need to call directly and that's more than many do, I often hear from these prospects they have been HU on inn the past

David Taylor Jr said:

I did take it, and the Part D. There was no opportunity to cross-sell DVH as she already has it.

My question was, is there carriers that pay more than 1%? I'll check out Cigna as Vic suggested, but they currrently aren't really competitive here.

I'm so used to Under 65 clients being DSNPs, or partials anyway these two threw me off.
I was talking about rather than referring futures to the carrier. Take the 1%. Do the right thing and help the person. That's what we are supposed to do. One right thing could translate into who knows how many referrals.

Ive learned 1% is not worth providing cust service or having under my E and O, These cases generally don't end up in refuels and take's time, Especially GI when additional documentation is needed. This takes away from time prospecting or servicing other clients

I do provide the info they need to call directly and that's more than many do, I often hear from these prospects they have been HU on inn the past

To each his own, but to me that's not the right thing to do. Help the person. That's what is the right thing to do. Don't just keep passing them around.

Last edited:
I was talking about rather than referring futures to the carrier. Take the 1%. Do the right thing and help the person. That's what we are supposed to do. One right thing could translate into who knows how many referrals.

To each his own, but to me that's a pretty sorry way of doing things. Help the person. That's what is the right thing to do. Don't just keep passing them around.

I did I talked with them gave them the right plan and quoted and gave a number to the carrier that is priced for them

That is helping them

I just won't service the account that is where I draw the line

I do have a few 1% GI clients where I have a spouse on commission plan, One, in particular, calls me often with questions and had got bills I needed to make sure got paid, however, I am paid on the spouses account, It would bother me to spend so much time without that.

It takes away for other important tasks, other people who need help and takes away from my family

Why do it????

I will send them directly, I usually don't write apps I don't get comped anymore, Unless its a husb wife deal and I am getting paid on one spouse at least

That's what I have been doing for some time. Send them direct.

I do that not only on U65 disabled but also GI business.

There is the same amount of service work on clients that generate $0 comp as those with full comp.

And the same E&O exposure . . .

FWIW I did use one of the Aetna carriers (can't recall which one was here at the time) on GI business. They were paying half commission. When they cut it to a fractional percentage I said goodbye to GI biz.

Other than a few direct writers most of the U65 carriers have Medigap premiums starting around $500/month and going up to $3,000.

Even if I wanted to write the U65 folks I don't know anyone who is disabled that can afford that kind of premium.

Those sweet U65 referrals that's why.

Before Obamacare when I wrote U65 major med I would write child only plans that paid me $10/mo commission or less. Didn't go hunting for them, but I would write them as they cam along. Usually did get referrals and many worked out.

I also helped a few folks who didn't have a lot of money. They would provide referrals as well.

Generally to other poor people . . .

Decided to get out of that market.

Now I am in the referral business. "I can't help you direct but you can go here and get what you need"

I was being facetious.

I think if you can write them on a different product where you get paid, like FE, great. If not, give them sound advice and direct them to someone who makes more than 60 dollars on them.

Sound advice and taking on the client are not mutually exclusive to doing the right thing.

Back