Webinars......what's the Deal?

0b1kanobee

Guru
1000 Post Club
Besides operator error, how come 90% of the time I can't ever seem to be able to log into one?

I was supposed to be on a webinar 1/2 hour ago. Finally after screwing around and clicking the right button on the screen it allows me to log in and put all my info in.

Then once I'm in, it says that I need to install Java. So I install and try again but no, it says I need to install Java. So I reinstall and Java says I already have it. So I reboot computer. Then I try again and I'm all good except it says my browser is not supported (Chrome). So I try with my Chrome extension. Nope, browser not supported.

So then I go to IE. Then IE tells me it is rejecting cookies. I don't even know what cookies are, I just want to join the webinar! I don't get this rejecting cookies, turning cookies off, turning them on......

Every time I try and do one of these Webinars, it seems there is always a problem and sometimes when you do get in, 20 minutes has already gone by. You try and go on early and it says that the meeting hasn't started yet.

Am I the only one who seems to have a problem with these things. They seem like they still have a lot of bugs to work out with these Webinars. They are like Bluetooth technology......sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I deal with it all the time since I run 3 webinars per week. Not on my end, but for every webinar I have a few people who get caught in the Java Twilight Zone. They try everything and nothing works. It's on their end, not mine and it's frustrating.

I just tried to join one of those last week and had the same java problem.
If I go to a Java site, as with the main Java download page, the test shows Error, no Java, yet it is there and on my system. Other system apps detect it, but not outside web resources. I eventually gave up after wasting more time than it was worth.:no:

Remember how flaky it was getting your dial-up ISP working back in the days of Windows 3.11? That's basically where we're at with webinars right now.

The same is true with video chat, which is why Apple's Facetime is such a big deal. Once you buy an iphone 4, ipad 2, macbook pro, and apple router, it just works. :)

Im not a computer guy, but I had to go on a webinar couple weeks ago and JAVA was giving me an issue, I just had to download the newer version and it worked fine. Not gonna fix your situation just my experience..

I don't know if it makes a difference but when I have problems the first thing I do is go from Firefox to Explorer..

Remember how flaky it was getting your dial-up ISP working back in the days of Windows 3.11? That's basically where we're at with webinars right now.

I'm no computer guy but that is what I'm thinking too. Down the road, these Webinars should improve. I remember when I was able to get on about 1 out of 10 of them. At least I'm able to get on about half of them.

This was through a BIG insurance/financial company (ING) and they must use a lot of security or something to be able to watch a Webinar. Either that or they are so big that they can't get one right. Who knows.......I just know I usually have great difficulty getting on one and a few have been no problem at all.

Yesterday I really needed to vent though LOL because I'm like is it just me or what?!!!! I scheduled my whole day around it and even picked up my son from school early so as not to miss it. Oh well........maybe next time I will have better luck. :1smile:

Back