• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Website content

This is a very interesting thread indeed as I am in the seo field as well. motoxxx what forum do you run?

Ya, been on DP for years. It is just kind of interesting to finally see some insurance guys take notice of the seo world.

You missed Global Warming.....which, since the Mid West is in the middle of it's own Ice Age is now referred to as "Climate Change" instead.

motoxxx how long have you had that site going? Surprised they haven't increased the PR since I see you have some good backlinks and some age on the site.

I got my butt kicked by Google about a year ago with that site. Turns out that if you place a Google search system and then remove it and replace it with a Swiki that Google throws you out of the data base. Ever since then I just use that site for testing more than anything. That site does pretty well even with out Googleso it is a great test bed for me.

I gave up on PR a while ago. It only matters to Google and 99.9% of end users don't know or care about PR, so I don't either. That site was a PR 4 before it got slapped.

I don't go onto the DP forum very often any more. Too easy to get bogged down with stuff there.

Search engine positioning does not mean squat if:

You have a site you advertise in your usual materials, like letterhead and promotional items.

People search for you or your company specifically to check you out.

In those cases have fun with your site and don't worry about people putting in a generic search term and coming up with you. It won't happen in the usual scheme of things.

On the other hand, if you are going heavy after a local search term, like "insurance Topeka" or something like that, then pimping to the search companies is necessary.

In those cases have fun with your site and don't worry about people putting in a generic search term and coming up with you. It won't happen in the usual scheme of things.

On the other hand, if you are going heavy after a local search term, like "insurance Topeka" or something like that, then pimping to the search companies is necessary.
Quite right. Targeting your specific market in your geographic location is very much worth doing.

Ya, ranking for local search terms is so easy most of you would be surprised at what it takes.

I was actually contact by a guy that owned a ton of domains and he asked me if I wanted to buy one specifically targeted towards my home town and I researched it and decided that the $1500 he was asking for it was a waste of money since I already owned all of the top spots.

You can set up a local Yahoo business profile and list a website in your profile and it can get you found locally that way too.

Back