What Are the Most Frustrating Insurance Questions You Get from Consumers?

Now that is funny, and very much disliked. I think those are price shoppers and not value shoppers.

My name is George and I am bald, unemployed and I live with my parents. Can you help me?

Seriously...something like this:

Can you find health insurance for myself (age 40), my husband (age 43) and our two children (ages 12 and 14). We would like a plan that costs less than $100 per month.

Not even in Ohio!

Insured: I am calling to get the cash value from my whole life policy.

Me: Ok sir, when did you get your policy?

Insured: That insurance man sold it to be back in November and told me it builds cash value. I need that cash value.

Me: Your policy does not begin to accumulate any cash value until after the second year.

Insured: That don't make any sense, he told me I can borrow from the policy.

Me: Sir, did you receive your policy in the mail?

Insured: Yes

Me: Did you look through it?

Insured: Nah man it's sitting in the safe box.

Me: The policy has a table detailing how much cash value it accumulates over time. It also has a free look provision, which means if you are unhappy with it, you could have cancelled it without paying any premium.

Insured: Long pause, y'all are all crooks, and hangs up.

I've been in the biz for 25 years. There are so many frustrating questions/comments I don't know where to begin. Just the other day I was explaining to a senior client of mine how a hospital indemnity plan works and she seriously said she wanted to wait but asked if she could get it later if she was hospitalized, LOL.

The most frustrating though has been the individual major medical clients that complain about their rate increase. One person yelled at me that they "didn't even use their plan" so I explained the pooled concept of how insurance works. He said "so I'm helping pay the claims of some dumb poor bastard across town?" I said "yes, but he might be saying the same thing about you next year".

I've been in the biz for 25 years. There are so many frustrating questions/comments I don't know where to begin. Just the other day I was explaining to a senior client of mine how a hospital indemnity plan works and she seriously said she wanted to wait but asked if she could get it later if she was hospitalized, LOL.

The most frustrating though has been the individual major medical clients that complain about their rate increase. One person yelled at me that they "didn't even use their plan" so I explained the pooled concept of how insurance works. He said "so I'm helping pay the claims of some dumb poor bastard across town?" I said "yes, but he might be saying the same thing about you next year".

Welcome to the land of Obamacare. Their dream came true. And best of all...it will soon be free. We just have to bankrupt all the hospitals, demonize the insurance companies and flood the doctors first.

All of these replys just illustrate that you "can't fix stupid" and America is rapidly becoming the land of those with a hand out.

Client: If I get pregnant accidently, will my accident policy pay for it?
Me: (forehead slap)

People may think that is made up, but I actually had that question the other day from a girl, almost verbatim. I thought that she was kidding at first but then I had to explain what an accident policy covers.

I had a man ask something similar about dying from a heart attack on an accidental death policy. He got a little perturbed when I told him that a heart attack wasn't an accident. He exclaimed that it could be and I agreed, but the policy would not pay.

He was happy that I agreed that a heart attack could be an accident.

lol. I always told people that "accident" is violent and external to the body. A drive-by shooting is an accident. A fall off the roof is an accident. "Sickness" is internal to the body, such as heart attack, stroke or cancer.

I know you know this, but it's just the way I explain it.

Did you try to sell him a critical illness policy?

Back