What Are You Doing Differently in 2015?

for me is accounting, i am terrible at it and i didnt really track it. I have quickbooks now and i will track every expense receipt, commission statement etc...

But the biggest thing i am trying to do is "slow down" and focus on on task. I tried multitasking and doing too many things at once, I did mediocre on everything...

So now i will outsource what i can and focus on 1 thing at a time instead of 10 things.

My biggest personal goal is to learn to work my networking skills better. I have realized over the last few months that I am actually a relatively well connected person in my town, but I do not capitalize on this for my business. Next year, I will work to utilize my contacts better to grow my business and create a referral network

Love your attitude! As for taxes. I make a resolution to do better on record keeping every year... especially mileage and auto expense.. Usually lasts until about the Ides of March.

Do you use an app on your phone for mileage? I have one that I use and each day out in the field. I input my start mileage and when I get home for the day I put in my ending mileage. End of year email the records to myself (actually I try to remember to do this throughout the year) and the record is totaled on excel spreadsheet. Super easy.

Amber

----------

My goals for next year: Increase new Medicare clients from direct response marketing - I have a marketing plan already in place. Increase Medicare Referrals. Shift Medicare target market - I do well with T65's. Always have. I rarely lose one to another agent. I've never had problems closing non T65's who get referred to me - but I have had problems with "cold-prospecting" the older crowd. I'm admittedly stubborn in that I won't cold call outside of Ohio, and I can't cold call in Ohio, so I'd like to figure out a way to prospect (other than referrals) in the "overpaying on your supplement" market. So, this year, I want to do some trial and error with some new mail pieces and figure out something that "works" for me. Always open to suggestions... Decrease distractions / mistakes - this past year I moved my office twice, my home once, became a landlord, and dabbled in 2 other types of sales in addition to working some T65 and some medicare referrals. At the end of the day, I "made some money," but I need to focus on one goal: 1,000 Medicare clients (I'm still a few years away, but my book grows every month). I also wasted a few thousand dollars and too many hours on some dumb marketing early in 2014...lesson learned. 2015 is my year to Focus. Increase cross sales. Simply put, I want to make each new Medicare client more profitable. I don't want to "settle" for Med Supp + PDP or MAPD. I know the percentage of clients who have more than their Medicare with me - in 2015 that percentage will go up. I have a cancer plan that I really like that I know I can cross sell in addition to FE. Increase "systems" in my business. i.e., an automatic / consistent system for every new customer for retention, referrals, and cross selling. An automatic / consistent system for every lead. An automatic / consistent system for every prospect that I don't close... Decrease face-to-face appointments. Increase e-apps.

Are you contracted with United American? They have some really good marketing fliers, postcards, letters, etc on their website.

Amber

----------

Great thread. On a personal production level: 1. Additional proactive marketing to my client base. 2. Additional preparation leading into Medicare season. (That comes around so quick every year.) 3. Continue improving at FE phone sales. Just started selling by phone through Medicare season out of necessity of being anchored at the office. Takes a whole different level of organization that doesn't come natural to me. 4. Take more Weekends off. (a goal but probably won't happen. ) On an Agency Level: 1. Complete revamp of website. More info and much easier to navigate. 2. Improve on boarding of new agents with ease of contracting and more structure of brand new agents. 3. Identify agents who are struggling and help them develop action plan to reach their goals. 2015 is going to be a great year! Everyone starts at the same place...ZERO. Everyone is smarter than they were last year so you should be able to improve your results over last year. Happy New Year everybody!

What do you plan on doing to prepare more for next Medicare season? What are you already doing?
I've always sold Medicare, but it hasn't been my main focus lately. Feel I need to do so bit more this year!

Amber

Do you use an app on your phone for mileage? I have one that I use and each day out in the field. I input my start mileage and when I get home for the day I put in my ending mileage. End of year email the records to myself (actually I try to remember to do this throughout the year) and the record is totaled on excel spreadsheet. Super easy.

Amber

----------

Agreed. The apps are great. I use triplog - it's the greatest invention since sliced bread.

Are you contracted with United American? They have some really good marketing fliers, postcards, letters, etc on their website.

Amber

----------
I am not - their rates are horrible in Ohio - maybe I should consider them for some ideas...thanks!

Has anyone used Zen99 to manage mileage and taxes? www.tryzen99.com

I'm old school I guess. I just buy a vehicle mileage book from Office Depot. I keep up with it every day I'm out in the field. Add up the total miles for each day and then in December I add them all up.

Amber

----------

No.. I keep a mileage book above the visor in the truck. Simple matter of writing it down when I start and again when I finish.. Can do that faster than I can put it in my phone.

If you're claiming mileage you still need a log: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf, page 27 has the sample. If you're doing depreciation, that's a whole different beast.

I'll take my tax advice from my cpa, but thanks. You don't know how I have my business set up, but again thanks for being the all-knowing chosen one. I'm glad you can pull IRS code links, but unfortunately it a lot of pages and 1 excerpt doesn't cover the breadth of a knowledgeable tax professional.

Back