• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Which Has Better Returns for DM Mailings?

$116 million or $500 million? Why does that matter? The total amount of premium dollars by the entire company means nothing to an individual agent. Let us hear from the agents and see how much of the $116 million goes to them. Lets hear some numbers from them. It wouldbe a better use of your time to prove to new agents that THEY can make money, not LH.

I'm looking at a flyer that I had in LH's file(sold their Med Supps) that says in 2011 the average income for their agents was just over $200,000. Yeah right.:skeptical::laugh:

Are you an experienced and effective appointment setter? Id like to hear your phone approach. Maybe it needs a tweak.

----------

If it isn't the presentation because lack of appointments, how are you on the phone?

I have a great appointment setter but I've been running into the "I'm not interested anymore" (from what she tells me) and I'm thinking of going back to setting my appointments.

The sell starts from the second you open your mouth. Your selling the appointment over the phone, no insurance.

I'm struggling with the similar situation, but I know better than to blame it on the lead. A lead card is nothing but an excuse to call or knock someone's door. There's no fairy dust leads (aside from rural leads and urban leads)[/QUOTE

Stop thinking about it. Set em yoself. ;)
. P

Maybe it was just this particular set of leads, but I wasn't able to reach anyone. More and more these days people are screening their calls. I got answering machines or no answers, and when I door knocked no one was home. There were many leads that were in secure low income apartment complexes where there was no access. So just a whole lot of things that really have nothing to do with my ability to set appointments or to sell. If you can't even talk to the person at ALL, then the world's best appointment setter/insurance agent isn't going to sell squat!!

I don't think anyone was grilling you. I was just speaking from experience that appointment setting is a huge piece.

I agree with above, drop in the sticks. Apartment projects are always in the inner city. But I've made my biggest premium sell in a apartment project that you had to have a number to get in! ;)

I wasn't being a smart azz. I assume she/he (I don't know who it is) could use help other than new leads. I figure if it's one of your agents it might be good for one of your road trips.

I don't know the person so I'm shooting blind. Not everyone can sell insurance regardless of leads.

I guess I just didn't clarify what the situation was about, although I tried to. With this particular set of leads, I was only able to actually reach a handful on the phone. The vast majority of the DM leads, about 80%, did not answer their phone or I got an answering machine. I did try door knocking but no one was home. So it really has nothing to do with sales ability or appointment setting ability, if you can't even get them on the damn phone or they don't answer their door! Yes I know, I need to order more leads and that is why I started this thread, because I was curious to know if any one had had better or different success with different types of mailers. Nuff said :1arghh:

----------

I don't think anyone was grilling you. I was just speaking from experience that appointment setting is a huge piece.

I agree with above, drop in the sticks. Apartment projects are always in the inner city. But I've made my biggest premium sell in a apartment project that you had to have a number to get in! ;)

So how did you get into the secure building?

I had the appointment set. My setter had the code for me and everything.

I've ran into that tho where I couldn't get them on the phone or get them when there home..

It's always a gamble. You never know how they will react when you get them on the phone or if they lost interest or if there just having a bad day..

There is so many variables that could go wrong. That's why I asked about how you were on the phone because that is one you can change.

I had the appointment set. My setter had the code for me and everything.

I've ran into that tho where I couldn't get them on the phone or get them when there home..

It's always a gamble. You never know how they will react when you get them on the phone or if they lost interest or if there just having a bad day..

There is so many variables that could go wrong. That's why I asked about how you were on the phone because that is one you can change.

I actually have a very good phone voice and I've done alot of phone work in other jobs and also selling med supps very successfully. When I do reach people on the phone, I have no problem setting the appointment and making a connection with them...

I think a lead is a lead is a lead. Same for the areas. I just posted that in another thread. I don't care where they are if they have an interest in what I sell.

So there is zero difference in reaction between a "state regulated program" or a "state regulated life insurance program" mailer?

When a lead sends in that card, are they really interested in the same thing?

If we offer free beer koozies and a commemorative Obama Dictatorship plate if they respond within the next 5 days, is that really the same thing as a lead with "life insurance" on it?

Point is each word on the advertising piece matters, and will attract different types of folks for different reasons. I can design you a piece that will get you 2%+ response rate, but will show you just how crappy a "lead" can get when you target the wrong motivations.

I found the state-regulated plan mailers did poorly in suburban areas and in the hood. They did OK for me in the normal areas I like selling final expense in.

So there is zero difference in reaction between a "state regulated program" or a "state regulated life insurance program" mailer? When a lead sends in that card, are they really interested in the same thing? If we offer free beer koozies and a commemorative Obama Dictatorship plate if they respond within the next 5 days, is that really the same thing as a lead with "life insurance" on it? Point is each word on the advertising piece matters, and will attract different types of folks for different reasons. I can design you a piece that will get you 2%+ response rate, but will show you just how crappy a "lead" can get when you target the wrong motivations. I found the state-regulated plan mailers did poorly in suburban areas and in the hood. They did OK for me in the normal areas I like selling final expense in.

I'm also not convinced that any FE lead really screens out the idiots very well. I'm sure you could come up with a lead that would be worse than any other. But I've experimented with a number of them this year and I'm not finding any that are noticeably harder to make sales than any other.

This month I'm trying out a price per 1,000 piece so it's worded with a lot of "free information" and "no obligation" language. It's a full pager rather than the small card. It's been a great lead. Every appointment has mentioned that they thought it might give them something for free. Most all of them bought a policy anyway. It wasn't really an objection. Just a comment they made.

I understand that the words "life insurance" SHOULD always screen out the "gimme free stuff" mentality. In my experience, it doesn't. The problem is those types of people don't know that life insurance isn't free from the government. It really needs the words "send this card if you want to BUY some life insurance" to really wake up the right people.

I haven't run the card yet with life insurance in the first sentence. Maybe that will be noticeable better. The words life insurance were further down the card on the recent ones I ran. But I'm of the mindset that some drops just happen to hit the right people at the right time and you sell like Billy Mays. Then another drop just doesn't go as well and you sell less. The wording on the lead has little to do with it.

As far as the OP, it sounds like she really is dropping in the wrong areas. She also sounds very resistant to coaching. To think you can't be helped is a poisoned mind set. I've knocked it out of the park for over 16-years and I definitely have the mindset that I'm still learning. I'm never too good to be interested in hearing what is working for other agents. Especially if she has someone successful in her up line like Ben who has a vested interest in helping her succeed.

Back