• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Absolute Minimum $$$ to Start?

That part of the ride along I agree with. But more to see if it's a career path you want to follow. There is much value in that.

I was talking about picking up on the finer points of selling. A new agent will not see that.

----------

I'm not saying a top producer can train. In fact I would guess most can't/won't.

I don't believe I would be good at training agents.

But I am saying that those that haven't been out there and made a living selling FE will never be able to train someone to make a living selling FE. There's not even a unicorn in that scenario.

I can see why a producing FMO would be important for a new agent.

I like to spread my contracts out, and besides the companies I'm direct with I probably have contracts with 10 FMO's. I don't think that any of them still produce...if they ever did.

The only thing that I use a FMO for is to get a contract. If I need supplies , have an UW question or need to find something out about a policy in UW, I call the company myself. I also fax the apps in myself, even though some of them will do it for you. I find that most of the people in those FMO's don't have a clue.

As far as having to sell FE fulltime to make a living to be able to train somebody to do it, personally I don't completely agree with that. I think that the big difference is in the way you guys that do it fulltime market it....buying leads. Selling FE hasn't changed in the past 20-30 years, but the way that it's marketed has.

That part of the ride along I agree with. But more to see if it's a career path you want to follow. There is much value in that.

I was talking about picking up on the finer points of selling. A new agent will not see that.

----------

I can see why a producing FMO would be important for a new agent.

I like to spread my contracts out, and besides the companies I'm direct with I probably have contracts with 10 FMO's. I don't think that any of them still produce...if they ever did.

The only thing that I use a FMO for is to get a contract. If I need supplies , have an UW question or need to find something out about a policy in UW, I call the company myself. I also fax the apps in myself, even though some of them will do it for you. I find that most of the people in those FMO's don't have a clue.

As far as having to sell FE fulltime to make a living to be able to train somebody to do it, personally I don't completely agree with that. I think that the big difference is in the way you guys that do it fulltime market it....buying leads. Selling FE hasn't changed in the past 20-30 years, but the way that it's marketed has.

And you just made my point. Thank you!:yes:

----------

I'm not saying a top producer can train. In fact I would guess most can't/won't.

I don't believe I would be good at training agents.

But I am saying that those that haven't been out there and made a living selling FE will never be able to train someone to make a living selling FE. There's not even a unicorn in that scenario.

Using your coaching scenario, it seems there are several coaches that can teach people how to play at the college level even though they never played at the college level.

Some top coaches prove you didn't have to play at a high level to coach at one - men's college basketball

Not being a big basketball fan, I cannot say how good they are but it would seem some of them have managed to stay ant name brand schools for quite a while.

Running a business and starting a business are not exactly the same. That said, I'm not huge on business school. Due to Wall Street, they are beyond short sighted and not focused on the long term in my opinion.

I suppose this can be taken to support either position. Most full-time professors either consult, practice or write, depending upon the field. They have to to secure tenure and then to receive grants. You'll never see a law professor trying major cases, but they definitely do pro bono work, run or assist law clinics, etc. Same with medical school, most still do some level of practice. Business school, many consult as well.

It may not be their day job, but they still see the inside of their profession even though their main job is to teach.

Last edited by a moderator:

----------

Using your coaching scenario, it seems there are several coaches that can teach people how to play at the college level even though they never played at the college level.

Some top coaches prove you didn't have to play at a high level to coach at one - men's college basketball

Not being a big basketball fan, I cannot say how good they are but it would seem some of them have managed to stay ant name brand schools for quite a while.

And another makes my point for me. Thank you!

Back