Advice on Med Supp Appointment Setter

Are you busy doing appointments to do a Medicare Review or writing applications?

I have been busy writing applications, while I am cold calling I try to get the major health questions out of the way on the phone, just so I don't waste my time and find out they can't pass the health portion when I get there. A little background on myself for two years I worked for an FMO marketing to agents for med supps/annuities. A buddy of mine along with myself decided to put our money where our mouth is and go into the field(Best decision I have ever made). I don't have a problem picking up the phone, I was used to making tons of calls a day to agents that wanted nothing to do with me(I did have a learning curve right away when trying to find the best approach to talk to people in the senior market).

That being said while working as a marketer I had been aware of the lead sources that the successful agents I was working with were using which was able to put myself on the right track initially. Some of the marketing strategies we have going right now are direct drip mailers and getting leads from two internet lead sources. However, cold calling I still believe will give me the best leads and the highest percentage of making the sale.

I appreciate all the feedback, this forum is a great resource and I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

Daytona_Guy I am very interested in how your process works exactly. I have made 100% of sales face-to-face and would love to know exactly how you are able to get the clients to make that decision over the phone?

Daytona_Guy I am very interested in how your process works exactly. I have made 100% of sales face-to-face and would love to know exactly how you are able to get the clients to make that decision over the phone?

Sorry, I just saw this in here as I don't spend too much time on the forums anymore. My mornings are spent helping agents and afternoons spent in the trenches writing applications.

To answer your question, it's all about building trust early and the efficient use of time. I now pay my screener $20 per hour and he's worth every penny.

He catches them and cleans them, I put them away in the freezer, so to speak.

His process involves establishing a dialogue with those that are frustrated with their current rates, he finds their hot button and lets them talk about it. Then he takes away the solution, by telling them that they must qualify based on health in order to make the change. He asks very general questions and then asks if they would be willing to make a change and allow us to become their independent agent.

By the time I'm talking to the person, they're ready to go and I further solidify the trust by bringing them on my screen (in 80% of cases) and showing them the credibility piece I've developed. We then move into the application and obtain the signatures online. It's very neat, very clean, and they really do enjoy the process.

The end of that process involves them receiving a tangible representation in their mailbox with the first of my follow-up greetings cards, automated fully by Send Out Cards.This automatically follows up with them twice before they even get their ID cards and insurance policy from the carrier. Then, a week after they have their policy and I've proven myself, the third card goes to them reminding them to not keep my free service a secret. It works like clockwork and takes 60 seconds of my time to implement that follow up. I simply input their name and address and the rest if automatic.

It's a system that works, as long as you constantly have people coming in to your pipeline. That's what my screener, and soon to be many screeners, are for. They follow a structured conversation methodology to find those that are interested in changing, open to the idea of working with us as their agent, and qualify based on their health to make a change.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
I think $20/appt off lead cards is very expensive.

That is insanely expensive.
First, spend roughly $30 for the DM lead.
Then, spend $20 more dollars for an appointment set up. Can't set up 50% of them, pushes DM lead to $60. 25% no show rate pushes those appointments to $25.

Great, agent cost comes out to $85 per appointment.
Good luck making it more than 4 months before going on welfare.

That is insanely expensive.
First, spend roughly $30 for the DM lead.
Then, spend $20 more dollars for an appointment set up. Can't set up 50% of them, pushes DM lead to $60. 25% no show rate pushes those appointments to $25.

Great, agent cost comes out to $85 per appointment.
Good luck making it more than 4 months before going on welfare.

At those prices I don't think it would last four months. At best an "appointment" setter will set the appointment to do a "Medicare Review". I stopped going on those shortly after I started selling insurance. Pretty much a waste of my time.

Latest posts

Back