Agents with Smart Phones

russelltw

Guru
1000 Post Club
My company has requested those agents with a smart phone that is synced with a database have some sort of lock on it to prevent it from being accessed if it were stolen or lost.

I keep my phone with me almost all the time, so it never occurred to me that I would lose it. But my company did bring up a valid point I would like to share with everyone here. Android phones have a locking system that can be accessed from menu/settings/location&security - under security section you can install a screen lock that prevents others from accessing the data (potentially long enough for the tech dept to wipe it clean). For those that are indy, there may be something on the market that would allow for remote erasing of data.

This is not the swipe lock that allows you to open the phone, but more password like. My verison has a matrix of 9 dots, with which you must connect the dots in the required manner.

Either way, i hope it helps. YMMV

Blackberrys have been able to do this also for as long as I've owned one. I wasn't aware droids could which is good to know as security has always been a question with them.

Blackberrys have been able to do this also for as long as I've owned one. I wasn't aware droids could which is good to know as security has always been a question with them.
I don't think Androids do this, but I hope someone will answer this definitively.

Do Android devices have the capability to be wiped remotely?

Yep, I use SeekDroid, it has that capability and more.
SeekDroid - Track your phone. Secure your data. Anywhere.

Control the following from our secure website:
- Locate your device
- Remotely Enable GPS
- Display its location on a map
- Audible alarm (even on silent)
w/ custom message
- Text Messaging support
- Setup SeekDroid Remotely via SMS
- Lock device w/ custom code
- Retrieve recent calls
- Remotely wipe entire phone
- Remotely wipe SD Card
- Hide from app drawer
- Disable App from being
uninstalled
- Virtually no battery drain
- Works without a SIM Card
- Reteive SIM ID, IMEI, and
active phone number
- More features coming soon!

My iphone has a remote lock and wipe and my android tablet has one as well.

Just so everyone knows, they must be turned on and connected to a network to work though.

About 3-4 months ago someone stole my iphone from a party. About an hour or so later I realized it, got on my friends phone and located mine on the map and did a screen shot. Locked the phone and then I drove to the guys house and asked for my phone back.

He said he didn't have it so I called the police. Cop came, asked to search his house (which he accepted) and the cop found my phone and my wallet......whoops, didn't even know he had my wallet.

He was arrested and got 18 months probation and community service :)

Back