• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Apple IPad Questions

Now I realize this ipad is not "3G'. This means I can only get online through WiFi and not wireless everywhere, except wireless with modem at home.

So no way to run quotes online away from home. Except Wifi. Not sure if the quotes would even be "compatible" and work with ipad if I could run them online, something to do with "flash" amongst other things.

I have to say, there is a roadblock everywhere you turn with the ipad.

Its seems its mainly about what it might do in the future.

Does your phone have 3G?

As long as your phone is around and you have the 3G mobile hub feature you are good to go anywhere.

Let me summarize:
The iPad has Internet anywhere that your 3G phone gets a signal. Your phone is a 3G hub...or you need a new phone.

the iPad runs ALL programs and quoting software that your desktop runs provided that your desktop has a web connection and you pay $5 per month for a program.

For me the iPad replaces caring around a million forms and quoting rate charts NOT my computer because I never took my computer on appointments anyway.

Does your phone have 3G?

As long as your phone is around and you have the 3G mobile hub feature you are good to go anywhere.

Let me summarize:
The iPad has Internet anywhere that your 3G phone gets a signal. Your phone is a 3G hub...or you need a new phone.

the iPad runs ALL programs and quoting software that your desktop runs provided that your desktop has a web connection and you pay $5 per month for a program.

For me the iPad replaces caring around a million forms and quoting rate charts NOT my computer because I never took my computer on appointments anyway.

I don't have a 3G phone.

It would cost me about 40 bucks more a month for 3G, plus phone per provider AT&T. I think they also said there was some other piece of equipment I would need to carry.

Is there a cheaper/better phone provider for 3G than AT&T?

Are there any connection/slowness, etc., type problems using the ipad online?

Forms questions:

Can you type info in the forms easily?

I assume they need to be "fillable" or does the software allow you to customize them?

Do you need to have other than the free version of adobe?

For LTC & Annuity applications, companies want the hard copy/wet signature.

So mainly Life and what else can be done this way?

Last edited:
I would just bite the bullet and get an iPhone or a high end Android phone. You won't need to carry any extra attachment.

I agree on the annuity and LTC apps. It will be some time before companies allow those electronic or faxed.

Just regular PDF forms is all you need. You can just scan your paper versions if you want or download them from the carrier's website.

You set up each field by tapping and setting the size. You can set up check boxes, drop down lists, etc. Once you set up the form you save it and can use it over and over on appointments.

It takes around 20 minutes to set up an 8 page application for use. Once you have set up your 1st form you will be an expert. It's not hard to learn.

I would just bite the bullet and get an iPhone or a high end Android phone. You won't need to carry any extra attachment.

I agree on the annuity and LTC apps. It will be some time before companies allow those electronic or faxed.

Just regular PDF forms is all you need. You can just scan your paper versions if you want or download them from the carrier's website.

You set up each field by tapping and setting the size. You can set up check boxes, drop down lists, etc. Once you set up the form you save it and can use it over and over on appointments.

It takes around 20 minutes to set up an 8 page application for use. Once you have set up your 1st form you will be an expert. It's not hard to learn.

Thanks for the info!

On one of the Fillable PDF Forms saved on my desktop it won't allow me to "pre-Fill" out or even save filled out info. It says I must print to save a copy.

Do you know what I need to do to save a copy with info without printing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I also don't have a 3G cell phone... I have the original day-one iPhone (and want to upgrade to the new 4s when they are back in stock!)

I have a 3G iPad (original model) and pay the $15 a month to ATT for a cell-data connection. The only problem is that the data is capped at a certain limit... I forget what. I've never topped it yet.

Wi-fi is way faster, but the cell connection works well when I'm in the car or not near a wi-fi spot like Starbucks.

I didn't know that you could use a 3G iPhone as a hot-spot. Is that tethering? How do you make it a hot-spot? Do you need to jail-break it? What's the trick?

I also don't have a 3G cell phone... I have the original day-one iPhone (and want to upgrade to the new 4s when they are back in stock!)

I have a 3G iPad (original model) and pay the $15 a month to ATT for a cell-data connection. The only problem is that the data is capped at a certain limit... I forget what. I've never topped it yet.

I didn't know that you could use a 3G iPhone as a hot-spot. Is that tethering? How do you make it a hot-spot? Do you need to jail-break it? What's the trick?

if you get the 32G iPhone 4s they are available now. I ordered one last Saturday at the AT&T store. They told me it should take 3 weeks but two days later (Monday) I received an email that it was shipped with a tracking number. It was on my doorstep Thursday.

The 4 and the 4S will both work as a hotspot. You just tell them at the AT &T store that you want to do that. It gives you an upgrade on your download limit each month and I think the whole upgrade is around $20 monthly over the regular iPhone data package.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks for the info!

On one of the Fillable PDF Forms saved on my desktop it won't allow me to "pre-Fill" out or even save filled out info. It says I must print to save a copy.

Do you know what I need to do to save a copy with info without printing?

Thanks!

If you have any sort of print to PDF software on your PC you can just print to that.

CutePDF is a free one that works well.

Last edited:
There are better ways with AT&T. If you use your iPhone as a mobile hot spot or tether it, they drop your data plan to 2GB max (if you have unlimited like me you LOSE it forever).

I purchased the AT&T wireless hot spot separately at Best Buy and get 5GB on the hot spot at 4G speed (better than my DSL). Goes up to 7GB with $10 for each 1GB over the 5 GB. It is $50 a month so basically $10 per GB 4G speed.

The hot spot unit is about half the size of the iPhone and can fit right in your pocket. I can take my laptop to an appointment and get right up on my 4G hot spot to work if I need to. No need to worry if the client has wireless access at their home.

271115-at-t-mobile-hotspot-elevate-4g.jpg

There are better ways with AT&T. If you use your iPhone as a mobile hot spot or tether it, they drop your data plan to 2GB max (if you have unlimited like me you LOSE it forever).

I purchased the AT&T wireless hot spot separately at Best Buy and get 5GB on the hot spot at 4G speed (better than my DSL). Goes up to 7GB with $10 for each 1GB over the 5 GB. It is $50 a month so basically $10 per GB 4G speed.

271115-at-t-mobile-hotspot-elevate-4g.jpg

That IS the best way but I never get close to 2G per month downloaded. So I go with the cheaper plan and don't have to carry the extra device.

I was hoping someone else was going to ask this.

Would a $200 android tablet do the same thing as an Ipad. If all I wanted to do was store and fill in forms (apps) and maybe quote online? Assuming that I had a 3/4 G phone. I believe Compulife has something for a thumb drive to run that.

Last edited:
Back