Average Number of APPROVED Apps Per Month

I am running around 70% of what I submit get approved

You too must be in a non-waiver state like California. Prior to 1.01.94, California allowed waivers. I had less than 5% declines. 1.01.94, all waivers were eliminated from existing policies. Now, I cross my fingers and toes on very app submitted.

" but I understand OH needs more out of state agents"

Tons of agents come here to sell. Like me...they enjoy the low (43rd out of 50 states) premiums and low commissions.

Seriously, are OH health premiums low? I lived there for 13 years and didn't realize that.

Seriously, are OH health premiums low? I lived there for 13 years and didn't realize that.

Obviously you are not a health broker then?
Lower than almost every other state. On par with C.P.I of course so its relative. Then again, if people are paying more than $20 per month for a 0 deductible PPO than the sky is falling.

You too must be in a non-waiver state like California. Prior to 1.01.94, California allowed waivers. I had less than 5% declines. 1.01.94, all waivers were eliminated from existing policies. Now, I cross my fingers and toes on very app submitted.

I never really embraced waivers until this year. I had always hung my hat on having everything covered. I can't sell that way any more.
I picked up some nice size contracts with carriers that rider or have some carve outs.

Mental health was a big one. I chose a carrier that does not even cover mental health because its now illegal in my state to rider that condition. I was able write about 12 policies this year that would have been declined with other carriers.

Riders are a necessary tool for carriers. Let the client's decided. I have a mid case of acne rosacea. It's so mild that my treatment is a $10 OTC med and mild soap.

However, one carrier wanted to rate me 15%. Why would I allow a condition that costs me $10 a year to jack up my rates 15%? A rider is a much better solution.

Back