Background Question

Different states deal with this differently. Expunged, strangely enough, doesn't always mean removed for all purposes.

Just a quick google search showed the following (this is in California, other states may vary)

Benefits Of Felony Expungement In California

Other then the mental relief one can experience with a felony expungement there are many tangible benefits that a California felony expungement offers:
  1. Removes the conviction from your criminal record.
  2. In almost all cases private employers cannot ask about convictions that were dismissed under Penal Code 1203.4, nor can a conviction that was dismissed be considered for employment purposes
  3. Your past convictions will show as dismissed in the national databases used for most background checks.
  4. You can truthfully, and legally, answer "NO" on private sector job applications when asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime.
  5. You can greatly increase your earning capacity by becoming eligible for more employment opportunities.
  6. You become eligible for many types of professional licenses and certificates
  7. Reducing a "wobbler" felony to a misdemeanor can restore certain rights, such as gun ownership
  8. You can become eligible for student loans.
  9. You can become eligible for housing assistance.
  10. You can tell friends and family that you have not been convicted of a crime.
  11. You have the satisfaction of forgetting the past for good and moving forward into a more positive future.
A couple of things to note:
- You are not applying for private employment. Those comments don't matter.
- Read #3 again. It will likely show up, which means people can ask questions for appointments. An explanation is warranted.

In other states, I believe expunged means expunged.

Dan

Different states deal with this differently. Expunged, strangely enough, doesn't always mean removed for all purposes.

Just a quick google search showed the following (this is in California, other states may vary)

Other then the mental relief one can experience with a felony expungement there are many tangible benefits that a California felony expungement offers:
  2. In almost all cases private employers cannot ask about convictions that were dismissed under Penal Code 1203.4, nor can a conviction that was dismissed be considered for employment purposes
  3. Your past convictions will show as dismissed in the national databases used for most background checks.
  4. You can truthfully, and legally, answer "NO" on private sector job applications when asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime.
  5. You can greatly increase your earning capacity by becoming eligible for more employment opportunities.
  7. Reducing a "wobbler" felony to a misdemeanor can restore certain rights, such as gun ownership
  10. You can tell friends and family that you have not been convicted of a crime.
  11. You have the satisfaction of forgetting the past for good and moving forward into a more positive future.
- Read #3 again. It will likely show up, which means people can ask questions for appointments. An explanation is warranted.

In other states, I believe expunged means expunged.

Dan

The way I look at it now is there is always a paper trail somewhere. When I worked for that particular bank for a breif period the lady I delt w/in regards to this put it perfect. She said "yes, your case is expunged and you didn't have to mention it on the application, however, lawyers misguide clients all the time thinking that noone will ever be able to recover those records." "Truth is, we were able to see everything on your recrod as soon as we received the results from your fingerprints."

#3: "Will show up as dismissed".. #1 "Removes the conviction from your criminal record"... Therefore if the question on the application is , "have you ever been convicted" then the truthful answer is no. Even though #2 and #4 specifically mentions private sector, they do not preclude giving the same answer on a public sector application.

Last edited:
But again, those are in regards to applying for employment. Most insurance agents are not employees.

With the DOI, you are not an employee.

Again, this is California, other states work differently.

Another option is to have it reduced to a misdemeanor, then have it expunged. I think this gets you around some of this, not sure though. Fortunately, I have no direct experience with any of this. Admitedly, I know a few people who have been down this path, but its always unclear how this works.

Dan

I'm going thru the same thing. I thought something that was tossed out of court was expundged back in 1999. Well I didn't disclose this on my application because I thought it was gone. Well now I'm being treated like I lied on my application. It wasn't a felony.

I'm going thru the same thing. I thought something that was tossed out of court was expundged back in 1999. Well I didn't disclose this on my application because I thought it was gone. Well now I'm being treated like I lied on my application. It wasn't a felony.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everything goes through ok. Actually, on the original application for my license it says you do not have to list misdemeanors unless you are currently in the process of being charged, however, for appointments w/insurance carriers it specifically asks you to list them so I have no problem doing so (considering they'll probably laugh at what the misdemeanor was..cough cough drag racing). No one but myself to blame I made an irresponsible decision. In addition, Principle even ask you to list cases that have been expunged as well.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everything goes through ok. Actually, on the original application for my license it says you do not have to list misdemeanors unless you are currently in the process of being charged, however, for appointments w/insurance carriers it specifically asks you to list them so I have no problem doing so (considering they'll probably laugh at what the misdemeanor was..cough cough drag racing). No one but myself to blame I made an irresponsible decision. In addition, Principle even ask you to list cases that have been expunged as well.

Listing that one on an appointment app would bring a few smiles!

Back