Critique My Telemarketing Script Please

TheInsuranceLady,

There has been a lot of good advise offered to you. What you sell depends a lot on what you like to sell. Both health and life sales can be very profitable and often one leads to the other.

Closing is a skill that can be acquired with coaching and practice. There will be a cost to gaining that skill in unclosed leads. A good GA knows that they will not make money until the agent makes money. I have found that giving the new agent a script is not enough. I get on the phone with them and let them hear me close a deal or two. Then I listen to them and give them tips.

One thing for sure is that I feel generating leads is a waste of time. I prefer to spend all my time selling. Eventually, you can get to the point where you can afford to buy 15 life leads per week and close 6 and place 4. That will net you between $2000 and $3,500/week.

Best of luck to you,

One thing for sure is that I feel generating leads is a waste of time. I prefer to spend all my time selling. Eventually, you can get to the point where you can afford to buy 15 life leads per week and close 6 and place 4. That will net you between $2000 and $3,500/week.

Ed, color me suspicious, but these numbers don't seem realistic. May I ask how many agents you currently have attaining this on a regular basis?

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, do you also sell leads?

I think in the interest of full disclosure Ed seems to be interested in a bit of recruiting. Maybe he thinks a few of us were born yesterday.

He's a bit of reality:

15 leads and 20% answer
3 leads answer
Deals = 0

Sound more like it?

I think in the interest of full disclosure Ed seems to be interested in a bit of recruiting. Maybe he thinks a few of us were born yesterday.

He's a bit of reality:

15 leads and 20% answer
3 leads answer
Deals = 0

Sound more like it?

Yes, it does.

However if you are a lead vendor, you make money sale or no sale. Good position to be in.

Or if you're recruiting mass numbers of agents who actually believe they can just buy leads and sell online you'll also make money. I'd ask for some type of proof of this "15 leads returning $2,500" but why waste my time.

How about a lead in with DI? Has anyone tried that?

"Hi, this is Pad with American Liberty Financial. I specialize in protecting families from financial disaster. If you were hurt tomorrow, how long can you afford to go without a paycheck?"

"Risk is not about losing money, it’s about losing opportunity to make money." Truth 7 Home Page - John Girouard - The Money Mythbuster

I switch it up as in my "Change Up" with DI, if I'm out and about in familiar territory I'll switch over to DI at times.

This is a great thread with great recommendations.

But... the bottom line is selling insurance is NOT about a magic script. Yes, you have to have some level of proficency on the phone but it is all numbers.

If I'm the best agent in the world and have the best phone script ever, but make only 10 or 20 calls per day I'm going to go broke.

It's all about activity. Looking for the "magic" lead source or the "perfect" phone script is a common mistake of new/lazy agents.

The "magic" to selling insurance is literally making 200 dials per day when you are starting out and building up your pipeline. It doesn't really matter what you say. Yes, I agree close-ended questions (those that generate a "yes" or a "no") should not be used, but it is all about picking up the phone.

We, as agents, need to stop wasting time analyzing everything and just get to work. Even if your approach isn't perfect, practice is the only thing that will improve it. You will learn as you go along what works with your personality type.

Your first 2-5 years in this business are grueling if you want to succeed. There is never a substitute for hard work.

For those that still want the magic phone script... "I'll take a Big Mac with extra onions please..."

"what you are currently doing"...maybe let them know what you can offer as opposed to asking what they have now.

Now then, does anyone have a cold call lead in for life?

Mr. Johnson, this is Bob Levine. I'm an insurance agent. Just one quick question, in the past 12 months, has anyone sat down with you, and confirmed that the amount of life insurance you have is enough?

Yeah, no, I'm not interested.

(That's not what I'm asking.) In all due respect, sir. Has a Professional sat down with you, looked at your policy, explained it to you, and said, "Yep, you're good to go!" All I'm asking is for enough time to answer your questions, and lend an impartial opinion. I'll only stay long enough to answer your questions, and won't even bother you for a cup of coffee, fair enough?

The call should, in 15 seconds or less, answer:
  • Who you are
  • Why you are calling
  • Why they should stay on the phone to talk to you
After the brush-off, you should:
  • Clarify your position
  • Ask for permission/time
  • Get a "fairness" reading
;)

Back