Final Expense Secret Sauce

I'm looking for input from seasoned FE producers. I recently sold my IA. Too young to retire and looking for something to do. I contact a carrier that specializes in FE and to be candid I think much of the bad press that this company has endured is without merit. They are good people and assuming you understand the terms and conditions it is what it is.

I'm trying to decide if this is something I want to do full time and I'm really looking for truthful input and the unvarnished facts. My first reaction is that everyone is trying to make FE look like the road to riches. Everybody seems to have a YouTube video where it shows the agent driving up in a Maserati. It comes off kind of sleazy and eliminates any sense of professionalism.

I have encountered a lot of nice people with different selling styles. I have met people that have the preacher style and they incorporate biblical quotes and verses. I am a believer and I have no problem with that. Then there are those that come off as funeral directors and I have no problem with that either. The two products and services are closely intertwined. I have a teacher style and the fact is there is nothing to teach.

I really like the idea of helping people and I really believe that every human being who navigates this world deserves a respectable and respectful burial. So having said all that here is what I have found after about five weeks.

1- I have been encouraged to door knock the leads that I buy. I did that for about 3 weeks. I am very professional both in look and approach. A few doors have opened and I have been invited in to write policy's. However most people are not home so I leave a door knocker or card. That has netted nothing. Next you get people that are home and can't meet with you at the time. So I nicely introduce myself and get an e-mail or phone number and commit to calling them back. It seems many door knocks lead to continued follow up trying to get a real sit down.

2- Many of the sit downs go well until it's time to get a check. Many of these people don't have the $40 or $50 dollars it takes and some don't even have checking accounts. I'm a professional agent and I do not have a foot in the door sales approach. My other thought is persistency. I look at some of these people and I think even if get a check what are the odds of getting subsequent payments.

3- I sat with a husband and wife who had just lost a mother and mother in law. The deceased had no insurance and they had to pass the hat to bury their loved one. Neither had insurance so this was a priority. I wrote two applications but they didn't have any money. I asked them when they would have the money and they gave me a date. I said I'm here now let's do the applications and we'll set the bank draft up for the day the money will be in the account. As an aside the woman was crying at the table and was so appreciative for what I was doing. The net result thus far is two NSF events and now I'm chasing them to get money.

3- I door knocked a lead and met with a man and his fiancé. Again no money. Come back around the first of the month. I follow up three times and finally I get the second appointment. He says come over I want to write the policy before I go to Florida. I set the appointment for 6 PM on a Tuesday night. I show up to write a policy and he asks me to explain everything again. After thirty minutes he tells me he has no money.

4- it seems that everybody has a story and you become a priest/shrink listening to their problems.

5-I know there are many people that want you to drink the Kool Aide but I really need someone to help me see this FE segment as a viable way to make legitimate money. After six weeks I see this as a lot of work to make some money. However it seems like you're on a tread mill trying to pay for leads and at the same time your hoping that checks clear on applications and debits clear to keep the business on the books.

6- I have been told 10 door knocks a day. My question is if I commit to do that what are the realistic expectations.

I would welcome all honest assessments of this end of the business.

I agree with Jdeasy, I think you need to completely start over and get connected with someone to train. There are so many good resources on this forum that will help you.

As for knocking 10 doors a day. That alone will not help you, so I wouldn't even consider it as an option.

The best option is to open yourself up to be trained the right way.

Thank you for all of your input. I will look at the various links that have been recommended. To answer some questions posed. I am working the west side of Atlanta for the most part. I went into Fulton County a few times for excitement.
I have adopted a teacher style. I've been a student of the business for years and I've embraced the slogan "an educated consumer is my best customer". I'm a CLU, CPCU, CIC, ARM, AAI and by nature I delve into things deeper than most and that apply's to P&C as well as Life & Financial.

My statement that I'm not a "foot in the door salesman" means It's not my style to force myself on someone or to say anything to get in the door. Taking that further it's not my objective to say and do anything to get a check.

With respect to the carrier I'm representing I think they are a good company. The MGA I'm working with out of South Carolina are passionate, committed and successful. I have a 90% contract with a 75% advance. After reading all of the input maybe my mistake was not realizing how different this segment is vis- a- vis selling to the classes.

I think you are all right. I think I need to refine my presentation. I also think I need to find a way to qualify these people better so I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks and good selling!

----------

Please expound on your comment

Thank you for all of your input. I will look at the various links that have been recommended. To answer some questions posed. I am working the west side of Atlanta for the most part. I went into Fulton County a few times for excitement.
I have adopted a teacher style. I've been a student of the business for years and I've embraced the slogan "an educated consumer is my best customer". I'm a CLU, CPCU, CIC, ARM, AAI and by nature I delve into things deeper than most and that apply's to P&C as well as Life & Financial.

My statement that I'm not a "foot in the door salesman" means It's not my style to force myself on someone or to say anything to get in the door. Taking that further it's not my objective to say and do anything to get a check.

With respect to the carrier I'm representing I think they are a good company. The MGA I'm working with out of South Carolina are passionate, committed and successful. I have a 90% contract with a 75% advance. After reading all of the input maybe my mistake was not realizing how different this segment is vis- a- vis selling to the classes.

I think you are all right. I think I need to refine my presentation. I also think I need to find a way to qualify these people better so I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks and good selling!

----------

If you need to re learn anything it is to not pre qualify at all. And drop the alphabets after your name.

And from the commission levels you posted you are really getting a bad deal. Low commissions and no training, or poor training.

That's not a recipe for success in any field.

I don't even know what those letters stand for. Maybe Ethel will be impressed???

Thanks and good selling!

----------

Based on this post and what you have posted in the other threads, The FE business is not for you.. First, nobody cares about your credentials.. In fact, in some homes if you have all those letters following your name people will be off put instead of impressed.

Second, I have never seen an "educational" salesman make it in this market.. They tend to want to impress the client with how smart they are by using insurance jargon and trying to explain all the finer details of the contract. The folks that FE want to know only a couple of things.. Will it pay when it is supposed to; how much does it cost? You may occasionally get questions beyond those two but they are pretty much it.

Also, FE buyers have been world class procrastinators all their lives. They need an agent to prompt them and encourage them to take action. Your statements indicate more of an "order taker" frame of mind than FE sales agent.

Finally, you claim not to want to reinvent the wheel but you don't want to listen to the advice of some of the most successful FE agetns in the country. To a person, almost everyone has tried to tell you to not qualify the leads when you call. The purpose of the call is to serve one purpose, to get you in front of the prospect under favorable circumstances. yet, you close your statement, " ... I need to find a way to qualify these people better so I'm not wasting my time."

Wish you the best of luck but if you are going to concentrate in FE, you are going to have undergo a drastic change in your thought process.

I will now go sit in the corner with Petey, I mean Herbie.

As they have stated, designations can be a benefit in the annuity or an affluent market which is typically polar opposite of the FE market. Even within the affluent markets you use 1 or 2, not the every designation you can buy...they don't know what they all are and it just looks like BS when they are all listed like that.

Back