How are we expected to sell?

Well.... there have been reports of someone going around talking to our seniors about home security systems and then trying to sell them medicare supplements.....

He was trying to sell them life insurance and then somehow transitioned to pest control is how I remember the story going. It was just a story it never really happened. I think. I hope.

He was trying to sell them life insurance and then somehow transitioned to pest control is how I remember the story going. It was just a story it never really happened. I think. I hope.

No, no, no. He was offering free cancer screenings by offering breast exams.

In all seriousness, and on a different topic, several years ago there was a male nurse working for a paramed company who would, when out doing paramed exams for life insurance applicants, was telling male applicants that part of the requirements were that he perform a prostate check. Needless to say he ended up in jail.

This also prompted me to be very specific with my life insurance applicants as to what they should expect when the nurse arrives. For years I always used the same nurse, never went through the main office to order the exams. Just sent them directly to her. Unfortunately she retired and now I just go through the main office with EMSI.

The topic I was responding to was NOT "cold calling" beneficiaries for MedSupps, nor did it have anything to do whatsoever with determining if and when an SOA was required. Rather, the topic was approaching a beneficiary in person, in this case, by tackling said beneficiary in a store. Two completely different types of solicitation, and thus, different solicitation rules. Read the details; that's where the devil resides.

To recap the rules: A producer cannot approach a beneficiary in person to solicit business without first being approached (in person) by said beneficiary. If the producer claims that he or she was simply approaching a beneficiary in person in order to solicit "only MedSupp," my point is that the solicitation is still improper and subject to CMS sanctions against the producer (and potentially any MAPD or PDP carrier that producer is contracted with). This is because, by definition, the vast majority of people eligible for MedSupps also are eligible for MAPD and PDP.

What is so difficult to understand about that rule folks? If you don't understand the logic therein, perhaps you should consider a new career in automobile sales.

It is something quite different to initialize solicitation of a MedSupp via phone. So long as MedSupp is ALL you are soliciting (excluding MA, MAPD, PDP, etc.) then CMS does not technically prohibit such solicitation. That being said, a significant percentage of complaints against producers are lodged due to soliciting PDP or MAPD via phone under the guise of soliciting "only MedSupps."

Tread lightly folks. Again, if you don't understand the rationale behind the rules, the car business is hopping. They need peddlers, bad, especially truck sales. And you don't have to pay too close attention to details.

You stated that you are a compliance officer and that is what scares me! I've always contending that CMS could make much better rules if they actually had some experience out in the field. At least listen to the agents that are in the field. The way you're talking makes it sound like you don't have any experience in the field either.

I've always wondered where CMS gets their info to make the rules that they have made. Seems like, if they are getting them from compliance officers, this is their first mistake!

Well.... there have been reports of someone going around talking to our seniors about home security systems and then trying to sell them medicare supplements.....

Ha - that would actually be an awesome cross-sell if they pulled it off . . .

I've been selling MA & PDP's since 2006 and it often feels like I'm in the USSR not the USA, with all the "must say this and can't say that" but you just adjust if you want to be in this market. Not that many plans out there that have no or little monthly premium &1 health question.

True Story . . . But only created and sold a Lead to our Pest Control partner . . .

Oh, yes United Health care requires you to get certified for their Med supp just like you do for their MA & PDP plans

I was always understood that an Agent could discuss Medicare and MAPD's anytime they wished and however they wished, but if they wanted to discuss Plan Specific details - then they had to follow the rules and eventually obtain a SOA.

Is that not factual?

Holy crap this guy is a supposed compliance officer and obviously doesn’t understand the rules.
You can 100% go up to anyone you want and talk about medicare and a med supp.
By your logic you can’t cold call. Isn’t that the same thing as randomly going up to someone and talking about medicare?

You must be a compliance officer for a mapd plan.

I feel bad for the people he trains.

Back