• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

I'm An SEO Expert. Ask Me Anything !

Nothing trumps great content...but if someone else has great content on the same subjects, it becomes that much more important to have the sitemaps, links, proper tags, etc. if you want to overtake them.

really? lots of things trump content, like high pr backlinks. one of the top sites, if not the top site for auto ins kw's has 3 pages, and gets over 80k organic visitors a month.....

really? lots of things trump content, like high pr backlinks. one of the top sites, if not the top site for auto ins kw's has 3 pages, and gets over 80k organic visitors a month.....

From a site called Google:
Quality guidelines - basic principles

Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines. Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as "cloaking."

Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"

Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.

Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.

Who cares about what Google "says", let's look at what works in "reality". This is like saying marriage makes men healthier, happier and more wealthy....yeah right

Google needs to dump SEO and move to a system where people rate sites. It would similar to how youtube works - people can flag a video, like or dislike it.

So if I'm "tricked" into getting to a site that's irrelevant I should be able to score that with a "zero." If I hit a site I think is valuable maybe I rate it a 9. We can say that system almost exists now do to bounce rate, but this would be more drastic.

Likewise, I can rate it based on my experience. If I put in for a quote on an affiliate landing page and get hammered with 12 calls, I should be able to score that a zero.

Obviously there would be steep challenges with this method - namely competitor fraud, but Google has to manage PPC fraud as well and seemingly does a decent job.

"Scam" sites that get enough negative marks could automatically go into suspension until it's reviewed.

The basis is that no one knows their experience better than the user. This way a "great" coffee site will always outrank a "not-so-great" coffee site that happens to be fantastic at SEO. The big change here is that customers can go back to a site to rate it on their true experience. Ordered coffee off that site and got junk? Rate it a zero.

The natural method of ranking is deeply flawed because Google falsely assumes that sites that have been around for a while are by default "better" than newer sites. But that's not the way it works in real life. Open up a better sub shop and you'll knock your competitor on their ass immediately.

But mark my words that a day is coming where absolutely nothing will matter unless people have a positive experience at your site.

Last edited:
Google needs to dump SEO and move to a system where people rate sites. It would similar to how youtube works - people can flag a video, like or dislike it.

SEO will never go away. SEO is simply optimizing a page to perform optimally in the search engines, or tricking Google into ranking a page by playing it's algorithim.

You think "vote's" cant be abused?

They can be bought, they can be used to damage a competitior too.

This thread makes me sad, amused, and a little bewildered.

I used to be an expert.

Now I just make more doing it for myself.

I am haveing Brook design a Insurance Pacman game to plug in under my quote engine that eats little dollar signs and roving insurance men...then the insurance men turn into company's and tries to kill the pacman....should heap with my bounce rate......

I am haveing Brook design a Insurance Pacman game to plug in under my quote engine that eats little dollar signs and roving insurance men...then the insurance men turn into company's and tries to kill the pacman....should heap with my bounce rate......

I definitely need some of what you're smokin', STI :laugh:

Back