• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

I'm An SEO Expert. Ask Me Anything !

Google needs to dump SEO and move to a system where people rate sites. It would similar to how youtube works - people can flag a video, like or dislike it.

That will *never* happen. It's infinitely too easy to cheat that type of a system. If google were to do that, they'd basically be throwing in the towel and saying "screw it".

The natural method of ranking is deeply flawed because Google falsely assumes that sites that have been around for a while are by default "better" than newer sites. But that's not the way it works in real life. Open up a better sub shop and you'll knock your competitor on their ass immediately.

That's one of a pile of different factors google uses in their complex and ever-evolving method of ranking websites. Younger websites routinely outrank older websites. If you understood SEO a little better you would realize that google takes a look at a pile of things and the system they use is much more accurate and sophisticated than you're giving it credit for.

But mark my words that a day is coming where absolutely nothing will matter unless people have a positive experience at your site.

Could you make that a more specific date? I'm completely disagree with your statement that "absolutely nothing will matter unless people have a positive experience at your site." Mark my words, that will never be the case. At what point will we call a winner on this one?

I think Series7Dude is gone. He last posted 2/4/2012. He will be missed. Perhaps we hazed him too hard.

Ann is probably right. I can't blame the guy. I think he came here to educate but all people did was castigate the man.

So what if he called himself an "expert." Who among you have the qualifications to challenge that? No one. But yet you do.. and did.

I could understand if you guys beat his a$$ up over insurance because some of you actually know something about that. But the vast majority of those in this thread couldn't spell S E O without being spotted the S and the E, much less know anything significant about the subject.

So often this forum is nothing other than a race to the bottom.

I would have liked to learn a lot more about SEO (a subject I already know a fair amount about) but now I won't because a fair number of people are not here to help, but are here to rule.

I would have liked to learn a lot more about SEO (a subject I already know a fair amount about) but now I won't because a fair number of people are not here to help, but are here to rule.

In the good news column, there are some excellent resources to learn more about SEO. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more details about that.

Google needs to dump SEO and move to a system where people rate sites. It would similar to how youtube works - people can flag a video, like or dislike it.

John, issue there is, you give me a ranking system I can automate creation of accounts via proxies, and voting all day.

It also already exists at digg, delicious, facebook, google, and other sources.

The current system isn't great, but it's harder to game than voting alone is.

If you make it vote oriented, which is the direction facebook likes/google +1 takes us in, that system can be gamed by anyone with a computer, expertise in php and curl or several other valid methods, and deep pockets to buy a lot of proxies.

The plus 1 method is probably more valid than the facebook method is, at least with plus 1 they only cause a change in the serp if the page is +1ed by one of YOUR friends, not just by anyone.

I guess long story short, it doesn't matter how you rank the sites. Guys that rank sites now will keep getting them ranked no matter how you change the method, we can adapt.

Guys that can't get ranked now won't get ranked no matter what you do, because they won't figure out that system either.

The true purpose of the google algorithm is to produce sites that have the content people are looking for, and the metrics in place now select with rather high accuracy sites that do contain the information people were looking for. The problem itself is of such huge scope that it is amazing that it gets close at all, and this is not to say there are not exploitable flaws, but I do not see how you could drastically improve the system overnight.

Voting sure as **** wouldn't, it would make it so much worse you'd be begging to go back.

ksigmtsu is right, search engines should start incorporating authenticity in user feedback as a greater part of the ranking signal before they switch completely over to user behavior.

A user must undergo a series of trust tests before an opinion matters and establish subject matter expertise to some degree as well. It's easy to pay a thousand microworkers to flag a result or +1 it, but not so easy to get a thousand credible insurance experts with Google accounts to do the same.

Unfortunately, uploading your degree, verified testimonials, and blood samples are all part of the controversial privacy issues people have with websites. As long as people want to protect their privacy, this user-authenticated system of ranking will not come to fruition.

Your best bet is to hire a seasoned SEO veteran, such as Bruce Clay, Eric Ward, Aaron Wall or Todd Friesen (oilman) to draft an elaborate 2012 strategy for you. I'd help, but I'm totally booked for the year. Once you have your strategy, give it to a trusted SEO agency and say "here do this and warranty your work."

I'm apparently not allowed to post URLs, but you'd do good by searching for the best boilerplate SEO strategy in a search engine such as Google. Nearly 70 people have voted up that result, so it must be a decent starting point.

you would be surprised what a flash game would do to keep people on your site.....

Random, but I'm in the process of building a site. I wanted to write a blog post about how less young people are buying life insurance. So I looked for some info by googling "less young adults with life insurance". Your site came up first on google.

Were you gunning for those keywords? :laugh:

Back