Insurance goes with me or the car?

Well, this is kinda getting off-topic, but fuel stabilization is considered necessary for even a sealed container. My mower repair people are adamant about needing gas stabilizers (which they don't sell) to keep fuel good for more than a few months. That's in a sealed gasoline can. They routinely service 2-cycle engines that are gummed up because of old gas.

Yes, tires create heat, which lasts maybe an hour after the drive is done. So that's not going to keep air pressure in the long run. Besides, if your tires are low, just fill 'em up!

As to lubrication, no one ever talks about that with regard to unused cars. But gee, if you don't drive the car, there is no reason why you can't just start it up every week or so, even without insurance. Liability and collision risks are pretty low if it's not moving. Same with battery charging.

Starting it doesnt keep the transmission/ steering rack/drivetrain lubed up and operating correctly. People with experience owning and maintaining rarely driven cars certainly talk about the lubrication of parts other than the engine. A true expert will say driving it is just as important as running the engine.

Sure low tires can be filled up, thats not the point. The tires sitting with low pressure is the issue. Low pressure causes increased load on the sidewall even when stationary. Weakening the sidewall... which is the most fragile part of the tire in the first place.

2 cycle gas sitting in an engine is totally different than normal gas sitting in an engine. The addition of oil makes it more gummy and certainly causes issues. Not true for normal gas. The octane rating also makes a difference, premium has a longer shelf life than standard. I wouldnt suggest letting gas sit for 6 months. 3 max would be ideal, but either way keeping parts lubed correctly is a more pressing issue for a rarely used car.

Your right, we are getting off topic. But we do that all the time here on the forum... lol. And I will talk cars just as much as I will insurance... lol. Not my car, just sharing my knowledge from owning cars in similar situations. And if you go the rental route, its a moot point either way. Plus renting a car is more fun imo unless its a just really nice car that she owns, lol.

One would have assumed that liability insurance could be carried by the driver, but I guess that isn't the case.

It isn't. The insurance is carried by the owner(s). The price of the insurance is based on the attributes of the driver and the car. That's never going to change as long as state laws say "You own it, you buy liability insurance. We catch you without insurance and we fine you up the wazoo and maybe impound your car." Next time you buy insurance you pay through the nose.

There are more drivers than there are cars, so from the perspective of insurance marketing, you'd think that would be in the interest of their business.

It wouldn't. Insurance rates are predicated on the number of occupants in a household that could potentially drive cars. If you have to insure each driver separately the cost of insurance would be prohibitive. Not only would the public not stand for it but insurance companies have to compete with each other. They also have to get rate approval by the state's where they market their insurance. It's not in any insurance company's interest to upset that applecart.

Here's why your insure by driver wouldn't work. Doug and Jack are each 35 years old, have clean driving records, perfect credit scores, live in the same zip code, have the same insurance company. Jack pays $2000 per year to insure his brand new Mustang. Doug pays $500 per year to insure his 20 year old Honda. Now the insurance company comes to Doug and Jack. We have this new concept. We are going to insure you based on your driver qualifications and you can drive any car you want. However, we still want our $2500 so we will lower Jack's premium to $1250 and raise Doug's premium to $1250. Jack, of course, is ecstatic but where is Doug? Doug is on the internet looking for another insurance company and cursing the one he has.

Let me bring up this discussion once more. I was trying to understand how my elderly mother, who has stopped driving, can hold onto her car so that guests can use it occasionaly. I was hoping she didn't have to insure it, because the yearly bill is quite high, and her guests would only be using it for a few weeks out of the year. I was hoping that individuals with their own insurance could use the car, and their own insurance would apply to any liability issues, like for rental cars. I was told LOUDLY that that WAS NOT THE CASE. THE CAR NEEDS IT'S OWN INSURANCE. I called my own insurance agent, and was basically told the same thing. I was grateful for that advice, but it meant that my mother had little choice, and pretty much needed to get rid of the car.

BUT! My mother called her State Farm agent, and he told her something pretty remarkable. They have a deal called "PARKED CAR", where you pay no insurance on a car that isn't used. But if you call them and tell them it's going to be used, say, for a week, they will bill you for that one week. This sounds ideal. Anyone heard of this?

Let me bring up this discussion once more. I was trying to understand how my elderly mother, who has stopped driving, can hold onto her car so that guests can use it occasionaly. I was hoping she didn't have to insure it, because the yearly bill is quite high, and her guests would only be using it for a few weeks out of the year. I was hoping that individuals with their own insurance could use the car, and their own insurance would apply to any liability issues, like for rental cars. I was told LOUDLY that that WAS NOT THE CASE. THE CAR NEEDS IT'S OWN INSURANCE. I called my own insurance agent, and was basically told the same thing. I was grateful for that advice, but it meant that my mother had little choice, and pretty much needed to get rid of the car.

BUT! My mother called her State Farm agent, and he told her something pretty remarkable. They have a deal called "PARKED CAR", where you pay no insurance on a car that isn't used. But if you call them and tell them it's going to be used, say, for a week, they will bill you for that one week. This sounds ideal. Anyone heard of this?
Sounds like a recipe for disaster when Mom forgets to tell them and an accident occurs. Register the car in your name and add it to your policy. Do liability only at your coverage number and drive it once in a while

No, that's simply not going to happen. There is no dementia involved here. Sounds like my agent knows more than you do. It's actually a common thing for people to do, he says.

"Parked car" is formally storage insurance, and it's just comprehensive. No liability. It's to protect against damage to the car while it's being stored. A car in storage isn't going to kill anyone. But what I didn't realize was that it's easy to get full insurance for limited time periods. In fact, the web is full of offers for "temporary insurance" where you buy insurance for days or weeks at a time.

It remains to be seen how expensive this temporary insurance is, but the implication seemed to be that it was pretty minor. I think this is exactly what happens when at a car rental place, you buy insurance.

Last edited:

Yes. It's been around as far back as I can remember. I suggest you talk to that agent personally and get all the information about how that "parked car" insurance works. It's not that simple.

She will still have to buy a policy on the car with full coverage. When she wants to park it for an extended period of time, the company will temporarily remove the collision and liability section and reduce the premium accordingly. When she wants to use the car she calls and gets the coverage put back on.

Yes, it is a recipe for disaster and has nothing do with dementia. Over time people don't pay much attention to their insurance and could easily forget the kind of policy they have. If that doesn't happen, what about an emergency when the car has to be used and neither the agent or insurance company is available to reinstate the coverage or you're too caught up in the emergency to even think about insurance.

What about state insurance laws. You have to carry liability insurance as long as your car is registered. When the DMV finds out there is no liability insurance the registration can be suspended. That creates its own set of problems.

I did a search for temporary car insurance and the first bunch of hits imply that it's not going to happen.

temporary auto insurance at DuckDuckGo

It remains to be seen how expensive this temporary insurance is, but the implication seemed to be that it was pretty minor. I think this is exactly what happens when at a car rental place, you buy insurance.

No, you aren't actually buying insurance, the insurance is already there on all the cars owned by the rental company. You're buying a waiver of your responsibility for damage to the car. With the liability insurance you're just paying to be an insured under their policy.

Not the same as going to the insurance market and buying a policy for a week at a time. I'd be surprised if any insurance company is doing that.

I'd also be surprised if your insurance company in Texas would be willing to insure the car in Oregon for the purpose you describe, to wit: Mom allowing friends and relatives to use the car while visiting. Call up your insurance and ask. Do not conceal the use that's being contemplated.

In this case it's simpler. In this house, there is someone else who lives there who has an insured car. So if a car is needed, that's the one that gets used. Also, once you decide not to drive anymore, you just don't. Could always put up a sign in the car reminding anyone who gets in that there is no insurance. Maybe put a warning flag on the key. So mistakes won't be made, though intentional screwups and illegalities can't be prevented.

I think that's correct that you need a policy on your car, and that when you don't use it, premiums will be deducted from it. That is, you don't BUY temporary insurance. You've already bought insurance, and are being reimbursed for what you don't use. I guess the question is whether those cost of the insurance (which has increased because she had a few accidents) is going to remain high and if, in the end, you really get most of it back.

Thank you for the clarification about buying security for a car rental. I didn't appreciate that what you're buying is just a waiver.

I in Texas have no intention of insuring the car myself in Oregon. Not gonna happen. I'd be happy to pay her for it, but it's not going to be in my name. She doesn't need my money, anyway.

Last edited:
No, that's simply not going to happen. There is no dementia involved here. Sounds like my agent knows more than you do. It's actually a common thing for people to do, he says.

If your agent knows more, why not consult them before asking internet for help? This is a common thing for people to do with seasonal vehicles (putting away the corvette for the winter and using the Jeep instead). Just because dementia isn't a factor, doesn't mean she can't forget. What if there is an emergency that requires use of the car and there is an accident? Do you think she going to take the time to call the agent to put coverage back on?

Is it really worth the money saved to run the possible risk of thousands in liability every time the vehicle is used, banking on that call never being missed?

Latest posts

Back