Is This Possible?

captain94

Guru
100+ Post Club
I just went indy and switched to Medicare. I was a captive agent in the underage health side. I made very good money but was unhappy with the products so I left to start over. I need to make a certain amount of money to survive ( about $800-$900 per week) is this possible in the medicare market or did i bite off more than I can chew? I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

Wow, good luck.

You are looking at the "leads" equation in a scewed manner. If you view them as a "cost" - they may seem overpriced.

If you view them correctly as an "investment", and you measure your return on investment - you'll probably (or should) come to a different conclusion...

I have had better luck cold calling to make sales.. I set my best appointments. Ive tried buying telemarketed leads, internet leads, and direct mail leads. I always make sales on them but enough to break even on the investment. I understand investing into your own business but I want to net the return on the investment.

I assume you're not cold-calling for Medicare Advantage plans, which is not allowed, big time.

If you're cold-calling for Medicare Supplements, it's "a numbers game" for as long as you can stand the rejections.

In this field (as well as many others) it's much better to have a wide-ranging personal marketing plan that also includes strategic partnerships, public relations, public speaking and community involvement as well as the cold-calling.

Thanks for the tip... No im not cold calling for MA only for Med Supps. I can cold call for about 3 hours every morning 8am to 11 am then run my appointments getting 1 appointment an hour. 3 per day 6 days a week 18 per week. it is very tough at times but i stay motivated by knowing that no appointments= no sales=no money to pay my bills...

I just went indy and switched to Medicare. I was a captive agent in the underage health side. I made very good money but was unhappy with the products so I left to start over. I need to make a certain amount of money to survive ( about $800-$900 per week) is this possible in the medicare market or did i bite off more than I can chew? I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

It's possible to make that much. Write 3 med-supps a week and you would equal or exceed your requirements.

Now getting certain companies(M of O, AARP), to pay you in a timely matter is a bigger question.

Thanks for the tip... No im not cold calling for MA only for Med Supps. I can cold call for about 3 hours every morning 8am to 11 am then run my appointments getting 1 appointment an hour. 3 per day 6 days a week 18 per week. it is very tough at times but i stay motivated by knowing that no appointments= no sales=no money to pay my bills...

Sounds like you have balls and the proper motivation (starvation). Nothing motivates like terror of failure. Been there done that!:) Based upon what you told us and your experience I believe you can and WILL succeed. Just keep your noise to the grindstone.

Last edited:
Thanks...Medicare is a diffrent world...I have been in the business for 5 years with a captive company selling underage and some medicare...I realized that medicare has a much better persistancy rate and better refferals. And got tired of all the BS you have to do with a captive company and you dont own anything you write as they now will not pay me any renewals on my business i wrote with them (20 years to vest) I think Indy is the way to go to really help you clients and be able to offer the best products and own your business. BUT, its not easy....lol

Latest posts

Back