New Agent- Please Quit Buying Leads

If you're trying to sell LIFE INSURANCE...

If you can't market yourself... buying leads will NOT make you into a "top producer".

If you can't get referrals (or more importantly, you're not "referrable")... buying leads will NOT make you into a top producer.

Leads may help you fill in a gap in your schedule.

Leads may help you a bit during a slump.

NO one made MDRT exclusively on hiring another firm to do the dirty work they can't and won't do themselves.

If you are a new agent, please quit wasting your money buying leads. I know, and will admit, that what you do is none of my business, but I am posting this as a fellow agent who spent 100's of dollars doing the same thing. You are going to end up in debt, and unemployed, trying to payoff credit cards.

1. If you don't know your products inside and out, you are wasting you time
2. If you think you are buying "exclusive leads", you are being fooled and you are wasting your time
3. Lead companies make their money off of agents like you, those that charge their leads on credit cards, stay in the business 3 months, and quit, broke and unemployed.
4.You are competing with 6-10 agents for the same business on EVERY lead, and most of them have more experience than you. YOU DON"T STAND A CHANCE.

Prospect and do things that are free. If you ask enough people to buy, you will get customers. As you go along, you will get better and better at closing.

If you insist on buying leads, do it with commissions that you have coming in from previous sales.

VERY IMPORTANT: THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO MAKE MONEY IN THIS BUSINESS. IT TAKES HARD, SMART, AND CONSISTENT WORK. GET OF YOUR BUTT, AND WORK!!! QUIT LOOKING FOR THE EASY WAY, IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!

Don't charge anything on your credit cards.You will be trying to make credit card payments on top of you current bills, and you will dig yourself into a hole that you can't get out of. There are people everywhere, including this forum, that will gladly let you charge their services on your card. Speaking from experience, ONLY A FOOL WOULD DO THIS.

Don't do anything, unless absolutely necessary that will cause you to go into debt.

I am really not trying to get in your business, but I also don't want you to make the same mistakes I have made.

That is good preaching there!!! Amen!!

Just showing up and getting your lic and think you will just make it by buying leads is not enough.

I wish every new agent had to take a course on prospecting to get their lic..

That is good preaching there!!! Amen!!

Just showing up and getting your lic and think you will just make it by buying leads is not enough.

I wish every new agent had to take a course on prospecting to get their lic..

You want the government to mandate teaching people how to prospect? I think they implemented this for Med Advantage hows that working out for all of you selling that?

People make wise business decisions everyday, for every wise business choice you can find 20 poorly informed and/or bad choices made. If someone wants to go broke because they don't prepare properly to, in every sense of it, start a business then why is that anyone's fault but theirs?

Everyone on this board is happy that the failure rate is high. If it wasn't you couldn't telemarket, go BtoB or do any other kind of marketing without hearing "you're the 15th agent to contact me this week."

My association has nothing to do with making people successful who otherwise would not be. My association is designed to shorten the curve for agents who are designed for success and help them avoid certain land mines.

Beyond that I'm very happy the failure rate is high.

AND

Most People do not like to prospect....

Who in the Hell ENJOYS prospecting? I'd much rather have clients lined up at my office with their health history and checkbook in hand.

However, most people just flat do anything to completely avoid prospecting (similar to me writing about it instead of picking the phone up right now) but those who are successful know it's importance. As Zig says about prospecting, "A Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step!"

Who in the Hell ENJOYS prospecting? I'd much rather have clients lined up at my office with their health history and checkbook in hand.

However, most people just flat do anything to completely avoid prospecting (similar to me writing about it instead of picking the phone up right now) but those who are successful know it's importance. As Zig says about prospecting, "A Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step!"

I didn't see the word "enjoy" in my sentence, my comment was a reason why people fail in sales.
When I prospect, I try to be conversational, and not salesy, so it is not so painful for me, or the prospect.

I didn't see the word "enjoy" in my sentence, my comment was a reason why people fail in sales.
When I prospect, I try to be conversational, and not salesy, so it is not so painful for me, or the prospect.

Did you get a mailer from me? I am not sure I sent it, if you don't get it by tomorrow, let me know and I will get one out to you.

Back