New Agent- Please Quit Buying Leads

Out of 100 agents, how many can say what you just said. No offense, but Medicare is the easiest product for someone to learn, which means the learning curve is not as steep. EVERY CARRIERS PRODUCTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

You are comparing selling something that is free to almost free. Since you mentioned Oct-Nov and AEP, I assume you were pushig MA's. That is completely different than actually knowing your life insurance and health insurance products, and being able to sell the right product, for the right situation, for the right prospect, AND compete against the heavy hitters who are working the same leads

Again, comparing selling Medicare Disadvantage plans that are free, or close, is way differnet than selling life and health insurance.

Hitting the ground flying, giving something away, is not even close to the same thing as asking someone to spend more money on something a product that is going to add to the monthly expenditures, and competing against 10 other guys that are doing the same.

People that are Medicare age feel the NEED insurance, tell that to a 25-30 year old who is invincible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know we don't agree often, but that is precisely my point. If you don't have those three things in place, don't waste your money.

Comparing to baseball, sared leads is like a junior college baseball player competing for the same job as 9 major league all-stars.

I actually sold 2x more medsupps than MA. I do have 1 MA company I sell for, in the towns where they have their PPO not the PFFS, to mostly people under 65 that cannot afford united american. The 10 or so times I did place a PFFS I explicitly told the person the downsides and tried to steer them into a medsupp instead.

People here to large degree believe the only time they can change their supplement is during AEP. I know that's wrong, its just what they believe.

And I have no idea what the fail rate average is for someone that tries internet leads. I would guess it is quite high, for a large number of factors. I didn't fail yet doing it. I've been making a good profit on medicare and health leads.

I will freely admit on the medicare leads when I started I did not know my products. I told people as much when they asked me questions too, I didn't lie to anyone or mislead them, I just told them I didn't know the answer but I'd go find it out for them. Some people it took me 2 appointments and 3 or 4 phone calls, the only reason I got the patience was that I was the only local agent that called off the leads, and I was competing with 2 out of state call centers. I told everyone I called that I was local and I'd come in person, and they were willing to put up with me not knowing what I was doing.

Honesty goes a long way.

You shouldn't just assume someone is doing things the wrong way because of when they started Dwayne, or that they're new. One of my first medsupp sales was to my own grandparents rewriting their medsupp, I researched which companies had the best rates in the state and rewrote their plan, then I had 2 tough UW cases and did tons of research into the UW difference between companies, ended up appointed to a ton because of it so that I had loopholes for everyone. I figured out I did a couple peoples life ins the wrong way, called them up and rewrote the plans even though they were happy with what I did, I figured out I could get them more coverage for less money.

Frankly I think the reason a lot of people fail is because they don't take care of their customers, they just try to close, and they don't really care if what they're doing is the right thing. Selling insurance just to make a commission and not caring about the people other than to sell is what gives a lot of agents a bad name.

I will also say this, for all the bad that gets said about netquote, they will freely tell you who else buys the leads in a certain zip. I started with just 3 zips and medicare only. Anyone that wanted to dip their toe into leads, you might want to ask the vendor who buys certain areas first and start smaller while you also do other methods of generating your own.

No offense, but Medicare is the easiest product for someone to learn, which means the learning curve is not as steep. EVERY CARRIERS PRODUCTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

You are comparing selling something that is free to almost free. Since you mentioned Oct-Nov and AEP, I assume you were pushig MA's. That is completely different than actually knowing your life insurance and health insurance products, and being able to sell the right product, for the right situation, for the right prospect, AND compete against the heavy hitters who are working the same leads

Again, comparing selling Medicare Disadvantage plans that are free, or close, is way differnet than selling life and health insurance.

If Medicare is so easy for you; howcome you say that all plans are the same, yet MA plans are different from plan to plan and between companies. Also, it is a CMS violation to say a MA plan is FREE. If a plan has a $0 premium, sales reps are supposed to advise it has a $0 premium, in addition to your Medicare part-B premium.

(sold over 2500 plans are a MA(PD)/PDP telesales rep since 2006, prior to going independent.)

Dwayne, you are spot on again. I've been in the same boat as you, but the difference in you and me is that I just didn't have the same success as you, and now I'm paying the price with those leads on my credit cards. I believe everything you said is good advice.

I also know that there are people on here like JDeasy, Insuranceman, HoosierDaddy, and Jody, who have been quite successful in this industry. It works, but, it is work to make it in this business.

One thing I recently realized about myself and a big part of why I didn't make it may bear saying here.

This industry has very low barriers to entry. You have to get licensed, but let's face it, the courses and exam are not that hard to get. And that's it. Once you have that license, you're free to hang a shingle and sell insurance. And there are all sorts of offers out there.

But the thing I found out about myself was, although you can find a "job" in insurance on just about every corner, if you don't have a passion for what you're doing, you are sunk. Yeah, you don't have to get up every morning singing songs about selling insurance, but you have to totally be committed to what you do, and you have to really enjoy it.

If insurance and selling insurance isn't what makes your heart sing, you're in the wrong place, and you're setting yourself up to fail just like I did. But I dou't count it as a failure for me, because, like Thomas Edison, said, "I've not failed, not once. I’ve discovered ten thousand ways that don’t work."

If you don't know the back story of this quote, look it up, because it's very enlightening.

I did, through all I did to not make it selling FE, find something I'm really passionate about, and I'm pursuing that. Because of the lessons I learned here, I will make it.

But the bottom line of my post is that, without the true, 100% mentally and emotionally invested drive to succeed and love of the business, all the leads, training, territories, and competitive rates won't help at all.

The majority of new independent businesses fail in the first year and of the ones that do survive the first year, the majority will fail by year five.

The insurance business is no different. Leads are a type of advertising and should be budgeted accordingly. This is a business and should be treated as such. It takes hard work, time, and money to get a business up and running.

If a new agent doesn't look at this as a business venture, they are doomed to fail and end up in debt.

There are at least three critical questions that need to be asked before buying leads:
  • Do I have the skills and knowledge to convert the leads into sales?
  • Do I have the capital and cash flow needed to front money for the leads, and then wait for the annuitized return?
  • Will buying leads result in enough incremental sales to cost justify the expenditure when compared to other channels - ie the dreaded cold calling?

Very interested in this post. I was in Real estate for ten years and did well. There is an 80% fail rate in the first year in the business. Last time I looked there were 9750 licensees in this small regional area.

I mention this because as a Managing Broker, I taught my agents that they would need to invest two things into their business - time and money. Marketing is crucial to the success of any business, but most Agents tend to only utitlize one marketing channel which leaves the business from other marketing channels on the table for others to pick up.

My marketing plan (a very simple one) includes working the small book I am buying, developing the folks I know personally, internet leads, as well as X-Dating, and a Telemarketer to work and feed me (the Agent) the leads they develop from suspect into prospect. To me that individual's abilities can either make or break an Agency, so a good well practiced script (or talk path or whatever the bizspeak of the day is..) is also crucial.

If you don't work your business like a business and If you decide not to use all of the marketing made available to you *in affordable proportions* you are leaving business on the table. Just my two cents.
Thanks!
Dave

That is excellent advice. As a new agent, I have learned some very valuable tips in this thread.

At this point, I know I have to develop myself into an effective and knowledge agent before purchasing any leads. Plus I don't have the money to do so anyway.

So when I am ready I will invest into getting leads with what I do have: Time.

Last edited:
Back