Part A and B effective date different.

No they don’t.

(I hope they didn’t change the parting gift back to the insurance-forums logo mug. I always that that was a little cheap and cost more to ship than it was worth. We have too many coffee mugs as it is!)
You're too busy trying to prove me wrong to demonstrate your good sense here.

But if they aren't leaving employer group, LEC, and merely delayed due to not wanting B yet, and picked up B during general election period, then there is no ICEP.

Sorry I missed that part. You are correct.

You're too busy trying to prove me wrong to demonstrate your good sense here.

I’ll admit there is an interesting discrepancy.

On Medicare’s site, it does show an election for mapd after enrolling in Part B during GEP (elect mapd from 4/1 - 6/30).

But the election period booklet (I use UHC’s) which I’ve never found to be inaccurate, shows this specific situation as not being a trigger for new mapd enrollment.

It’s always been excluded.

So, one of the two is wrong. As I’ve said, I’ve never seen an error in UHC’s booklet. And there is no option on a carrier app (I checked Anthem’s) for “enrolled in part b during GEP”

My gut is saying that the example is misleading. But I’ll admit I don’t have a good explanation at the moment.

I think there are two choices in the booklet. I've got to find that link again.

p10 in the UHC book I found:
Enrolling into Part B After Delaying Enrollment

p11 in the UHC book I found:
Enrolled into Part B during the Part B General Enrollment Period (GEP)

OP did not provide sufficient information for us to be absolutely sure (if client t65 in Oct, I think Jan is actually still in IEP) but it appears that client delayed initial Part B enrollment and enrolled during the GEP which just happened to immediately follow his or her IEP.

When I read about part B penalties, it looked like only five months without part B when eligible for it would not generate any penalties.

Last edited:
Medicare has a Special Enrollment Period when you can enroll in Medicare Part B without a penalty. This is how your SEP works:

If all of these apply to you…

• you are 65 or older
  • you are still working or your spouse is still working
  • you are covered by a health plan based on current employment
…you may qualify for a SEP to enroll in Medicare Part B at any of these times:

• while you are still covered by an employer or union group health plan
  • during the eight months following the month when the employer or union group health plan coverage ends, or when the employment ends, whichever comes first.

I was under the assumption you could enroll into a mapd in July for the GEP. I can’t rememer if I’ve done it yet but I just told a guy a few days ago I can get him signed up 7/1/18.

Edit: just checked with once source and it’s a icep/iep like I assumed it was.

hwioEMC.png

Back