Should I use insurance to cover the damage to my vehicle

facrashed

I was in an accident in which I hit a parked car. I was of course determined to be at fault by my insurance company. I started a claim to have my insurance cover the damage to the parked car. I expect the damage to that car was around $1000. I received an estimate of $1500 for my car. My deductible is $1000. I am a 24 year old male that was previously accident free, or at least never at fault. Should I take insurance money to help pay for my car, or would that likely cause a larger increase in my insurance rates that ultimately make it not worth doing?

If your company has already paid the other car owner for the damage then you are already destined for an at-fault surcharge.

I couldn't swear to it but I think the surcharge is based on having the one accident and not on the amount paid.

Depends on the state - in NC there is a higher surcharge depending on different levels of payout. I'd check with your agent to be sure. Even the Montana insurance department could be a resource.

Montana has an average of a 29.9% increase on a 2000.00 claim. If your damage was 1500, you can expect that the vehicle you hit will be at least that much. You already filed the claim, you might as well get your vehicle fixed and ride out the increase over the next 3 years or so.

When I had that situation with one of my children, I had the third party take their car to a body shop and get an estimate. I paid for the repair and kept the claim off the family insurance. The insurance was so expensive anyway, I have no way of knowing if it made a difference in premiums.

But as they have said, there's probably not much you can do since you have already filed the claim.

Another comment, just in case of a next time. I am not very good mechanically, but where I can, I have tried to do those repairs on our own vehicles myself too. Again on one of children's cars, our mechanic helped me by just getting salvage fenders and hood and putting them on for me. Kid had to live with the color variations.

In dealing with deductibles, you can get things like replacement headlamp and tailight assemblies on eBay. Just depends on your time, finances, etc. And probably the age of the vehicle too. (I'm still on back in 2000 and before as I make the comments above. I'm probably not capable of doing that on newer vehicles.)

And in regard to damage, there is now so much hidden electronics, bumper shock absorbers, fiberglass vs metal, etc that it is really very hard for an unskilled person to look at damage that may appear minimal but know what the real cost of full repair is.

I suspect that the damage to the other car is less than to mine. I hit only his bumper. He has a large steel bumper. From what I saw at the time, it was fairly minimal damage. My car door has a fairly large dent and a deep scratch. Not anything that I can work on myself. It is also a relatively high value car and as long as I keep it in good condition, should hold the value well.

I suspect that the damage to the other car is less than to mine. I hit only his bumper. He has a large steel bumper. From what I saw at the time, it was fairly minimal damage. My car door has a fairly large dent and a deep scratch. Not anything that I can work on myself. It is also a relatively high value car and as long as I keep it in good condition, should hold the value well.

I've never had the luxury of a high value car so I can't really say what I'd do. If you have the money and your driving and parking environment doesn't call for a "beater" you are probably considering the best course of action.

If this was 10 years ago and one of my kids cars, the first thing I would be doing in your situation is considering the dent. If it is a crease, probably not too much the amateur can do. If the dent is mostly a dimple, it is convenient that it is summer, I'd park in the driveway fully exposed to 100 degree sun for an hour or so and then see what I could do with a toilet plunger. If I could get most of the dent out, I would then get some rubbing compound and work over the scratch area by hand. Then find out what I should use to clean off rubbing compound and see how close a color match I could get at autozone with touchup paint.

If you are going to have to pay most of the repair cost anyway, and you are planning on driving the car for several years, you can pay for the spiffy repairs in four years just as well as now, while continuing to care for the car mechanically, keeping interior and engine compartment clean, etc. You never know what is going to happen with the next accident.

My neighbor backed into the left rear quarter of my caravan while it was parked in my driveway. I liked him. I looked at the car and told him to forget about it. 6 months later my kids borrowed it and the left rear quarter was creamed in a hit and run while it was parked at the curb. I had my insurance fix it then.

Or the other thing I might try. My mechanic is much more convenient to my home than body shops, and although high, his hourly rate may be cheaper too. He does not do body work, but I would consider asking him if he could get a salvage door the same color as mine and install it for me. And if so what that would cost. Cheaper repair for the next hailstorm or the person in the parking lot who doesn't care about adjacent vehicles when they open their door.

Not saying you should do any of those, just wanted you to see that there may be a useful and cheaper alternative to what you are considering now.

Hope you get a result that is good for your situation and needs.

I don't know what your deductible is but you have already filed the claim. You most probably have crossed the threshold for a rate increase based on the damage to the other vehicle. Why are you reluctant to get your own vehicle fixed? If your deductible is not high, take the cash for the estimate and see if you can get someone to do the repair on the side. This option affects your ability for a supplement if anything was missed. If the deductible is high you can take the money and apply it when the premium is increased.

Back