T65 Direct Mail Typical response rates

haha. Two choices: Get a machine or ask the doctor for arthritis pills.

[or outsource but that does cost a bit more than DIY due to markup]

I have an auto folder. So I'm literally just stuffing.. which isn't bad.

It's the time it takes (about an hour and a half) to get it done.

We’re doing a ton of community based marketing and I’m sending out about 20k BRC a month. We’ve never been this busy. Yield has been 2.5-4% on BRCs, depending on vendor.

Last edited:
I'm newish to direct mail at the top of my funnel. My marketing funnel is mostly online. I have had great success at the bottom to push my one-yard liners over the goal line. I send DM to my email subscribers just before their IEP.

Here is what I've learned about DM to cold traffic so far.

The list is almost everything.

I'd start with@ Chazm's suggested birthday selects. My mailing list selects also include, male and homeowner.

if you mail to the younger spouse, there is a bigger chance you'll have to compete with their incumbent Medicare agent.

Since men tend to marry younger wives, I mail to men. If you sell the older spouse, you should have an easy sale to the younger to look forward to.

So, twice as many sales and twice as many referrals! That's my theory and my experience.

Also I have sold very few non homeowners over the years. This is based on my pre-COVID F-2-F experience, So I don't pay postage to mail to apartments.

Besides, you have more opportunities to cross sell to a more financially stable couple.

There is another nice benefit if you still see prospectsF-2-F. Prospecting to married home owners keeps you out of most crappy neighborhoods.

The list isn't exactly everything. I never mail generic or company supplied creatives. The carrier pieces include their contact information. Those pieces promote the insurer more than the agent. So, I mocked up a few pieces and found a graphic artist on Upwork to make them look nice.

Carrier pieces are bland. I can create marketing pieces that get better response most of the time. (Perhaps that's because many called the carrier instead of me.) This is usually the case for agent-created pieces, not just mine.

You should always be concerned about compliance. But know, If you don't mention a carrier or specific product, most - BUT NOT ALL - marketing compliance issues won't apply.

Last edited:
i'm newish to direct mail at the top of my funnel. My marketing funnel is mostly online. I have had great success at the bottom to push my one-yard liners over the goal line. I send DM to my email subscribers just before their IEP.

Here is what I've learned about DM to cold traffic so far.

The list is almost everything.

I'd start with@ Chazm's suggested birthday selects. My mailing list selects also include, male and homeowner.

if you mail to the younger spouse, there is a bigger chance you'll have to compete with their incumbent Medicare agent.

Since men tend to marry younger wives, I mail to men. If you sell the older spouse, you should have an easy sale to the younger to look forward to.

So, twice as many sales and twice as many referrals! That's my theory and my experience.

Also I have sold very few non homeowners over the years. This is based on my pre-COVID F-2-F experience, So I don't pay postage to mail to apartments.

Besides, you have more opportunities to cross sell to a more financially stable couple.

The list isn't exactly everything. I never mail generic or company supplied creatives. The carrier pieces include their contact information. Those pieces promote the insurer more than the agent. So, I mocked up a few pieces and found a graphic artist on Upwork to make them look nice.

They're pieces are bland. I can create marketing pieces that get better response most of the time. This is usually the case for agent-created pieces, not just mine.

You should alwaysconcerned about compliance. But know, If you don't mention a carrier or specific product, most - BUT NOT ALL - of the marketing compliance issues won't apply.

^^^ This is how a smart agent thinks ^^^

My mailing list selects also include, male and homeowner.

I am not (yet) doing DM but about to start (T65 Inbound) and letting the pro get my lists. However I did choose the zips based on proximity to my home with x-referenced demographics based on income, home ownership and median age.

My online fishing hole targets mostly females age 64+ in my state. I get a few males but my target is females.

Males don't spend time online looking for information and if something arrives via USPS that even smells like a solicitation it is rarely opened.

As for the men marrying younger women, I think it is the other way around. Younger women are marrying older men. When I see an age difference of 5+ years with the man being older, he often will be working past 65. If there is a big age difference he may never retire because college tuition is coming up in a few years.

I am not (yet) doing DM but about to start (T65 Inbound) and letting the pro get my lists. However I did choose the zips based on proximity to my home with x-referenced demographics based on income, home ownership and median age.

My online fishing hole targets mostly females age 64+ in my state. I get a few males but my target is females.

Males don't spend time online looking for information and if something arrives via USPS that even smells like a solicitation it is rarely opened.

As for the men marrying younger women, I think it is the other way around. Younger women are marrying older men. When I see an age difference of 5+ years with the man being older, he often will be working past 65. If there is a big age difference he may never retire because college tuition is coming up in a few years.

So are you doing it to generate calls to schedule an individual Medicare 101? Or to do webniars with multiple people at the same time?

Latest posts

Back