T65 Early Enrollment Limits, Not Drawing SS Income

All very good and valid points. I know how the %'s work with Medicare docs. The problem is that it is unknown how it will grow in the future (the 4%). I know several docs in the area i am in that won't accept assigned charges. They bill the 15%. I can't justify saving someone 20$/mth and then them having a $20/$50 office/er co pay and the 15%.
I would rather pay the 5-10$ more and then know I'm 100% covered (outside of 147$).

So what you're saying is there is a large concentration of the 4% of of doctors who don't accept assignment living in your area? How unfortunate for you. Also, in the two highlighted areas above you talk about saving $20 and then it drops to $5-$10. Which is it?

As has been stated, I prefer Plan G, but when $20 (in my area the difference is typically greater than $20 per month) makes the difference between a client getting a Plan N versus having Medicare alone or a below average Medicare Advantage plan, you better believe I'll choose Plan N. And you definitely won't find me trying to scare someone out of Plan N by using the Part B excess charges as a way to manipulate the client. They will understand the possibility of this charge and we will also check their doctors on the Medicare website.

I show them company after company that have less than $2/month difference in plans with excess verses plans that don't. AARP C verses F is $2/month currently. If it were a real risk for the client don't you think the insurance companies would see it as a risk and assign a premium reflecting that is a real risk? No compare AARP C verses N. $49/month.
Exactly. The negligible price difference between plans C and F, where the only difference is the excess charge, is the best proof to those who try to scare people into F because of huge excess charges there's nothing to be scared of.

Exactly. The negligible price difference between plans C and F, where the only difference is the excess charge, is the best proof to those who try to scare people into F because of huge excess charges there's nothing to be scared of.

In this scenario, I believe the discussion is scaring people out of Plan N and into Plan G. I prefer G over N, but I won't use excess charges as a scare tactic to convince someone they shouldn't go with N. Seeing that 96% of all doctors accept assignment, it isn't a big issue. And even if they did pay excess charges for a doctor visit it isn't that much.

Where it may come into play would be something along the lines of an expensive outpatient surgery. But that would mean the facility nor the doctor would accept assignment. That's the exception and not the norm.

In this scenario, I believe the discussion is scaring people out of Plan N and into Plan G. I prefer G over N, but I won't use excess charges as a scare tactic to convince someone they shouldn't go with N. Seeing that 96% of all doctors accept assignment, it isn't a big issue. And even if they did pay excess charges for a doctor visit it isn't that much. Where it may come into play would be something along the lines of an expensive outpatient surgery. But that would mean the facility nor the doctor would accept assignment. That's the exception and not the norm.
I prefer G over N as well if price difference is small enough. I did about 70% G, 30% N until Aetna, my main carrier, had a big price drop on G in December, putting the difference at about $11 instead $20 something per month. Haven't sold an N since.

N came out my first year selling med sups. I asked the manager--I was captive at that time--what Part B Excess was. She said, "all those extra charges they're allowed to charge. Just sell Plan F and don't worry about it." I think some of the scaring people away from N is due to agents being scared to sell something they don't understand.

agents being scared to sell something they don't understand.

There is a lot of that around.

If excess charges is even an conversation it is due to another agent trying to be a weasel. I show them company after company that have less than $2/month difference in plans with excess verses plans that don't.

Good point.

I usually only look at F, G and N rates since that is where the focus normally is. If someone asks for C or D I have to look up the benefits since they are rarely discussed.

M age 65, zip 30528 shows plan F @ $142 and (same carrier) $146 for plan C.

FWIW UHC is $166 for either C or F.

First time I approach a prospect (non-referral) I ask what plans they have looked at. If they are just starting out all their friends have F so that is what they want too. I quote them F but then test the water on G.

If they have talked to MOFO bozo's they have seen a rate for G then I quote them plan N.

Cold leads that originate from my site are also quoted N right out of the box.

I have always found it easier to quote the best value then allow them to trade up if they want.

Sold an F today to an internet lead. Originally quoted N but they wanted to focus on G and F. I gave them reasons for picking G beyond just the $32/mo savings.

He wanted F so I wrote it up.

Carriers may accept the app 6 months out, but don't they need the Medicare # on the app?

I've put down "best guess" and just go with it. If different upon arrival, just call carrier. You know this already - SSN+A if getting SS, SSN+T if not, SSN(of spouse)+D if widow, etc. I think there is a big list somewhere....

SO FAR, no problem. I do have limited experience writing before they have the magic red/white/blue card as I've normally waited until they received that card... but I've started to change that process by closing everything up earlier.

Has anyone else had issues with putting the "best guess" down for the MCID?

Last edited:
I've put down "best guess" and just go with it. If different upon arrival, just call carrier. You know this already - SSN+A if getting SS, SSN+T if not, SSN(of spouse)+D if widow, etc. I think there is a big list somewhere.... SO FAR, no problem. I do have limited experience writing before they have the magic red/white/blue card as I've normally waited until they received that card... but I've started to change that process by closing everything up earlier. Has anyone else had issues with putting the "best guess" down for the MCID?
No I haven't had any problems with this. If their medicare number is different just let the carrier know and they can change it by sending in a copy of the card.
The only time I had a hard time with this is with late enrollment due to working past 65 and not enrolled into part B@65. This is when you usually have to wait until they get Medicare card because the carrier can't find them in the medicare system. That's my experience with a couple carriers.

Great info! Now, It would also be good to know how long of a wait after the online application to SS/Medicare.gov for the Medicare card to arrive.
I don't know if it would be helpful to call Social Security to ask.

No matter what, we can't do the PDP until at least 10/1/15 for a 1/1/16 effective date--January 2016 T65. Rates generally not out until then.

Last edited:
Great info! Now, It would also be good to know how long of a wait after the online application to SS/Medicare.gov for the Medicare card to arrive. I don't know if it would be helpful to call Social Security to ask. No matter what, we can't do the PDP until at least 10/1/15 for a 1/1/16 effective date--January 2016 T65. Rates generally not out until then.
It can't be as fast as a week or as slow as a month. It just depends on the processing time and how much is being done then.

Rates for the new year PDP plans are generally available in mid September but not on Medicare.gov until 10-1

Back