What’s your opinion on Sales Leaderboards?

I had a manager years ago who did that. Didn't motivate me a bit. What motivated me was the money I was making. I didn't care what anybody else was doing. My attitude spread to others and it wasn't long before the rankings chart disappeared.

I'm the same way, but still never wanted to get beat. However from a company owner standpoint, your motivating factor (the money you're making, which is of course an amount that you chose) is not necessarily what the business needs it's agents to be producing to meet the company's goals. A top agent can make the most money but also have the highest CPA.Sounds like you had a great impact on your coworkers with your attitude spreading, but that is not the norm in a multi-caller environment.

Tracking metrics is essential when having 1 or more agents. Showing them a leader board of course isn't necessary, though I've never seen it have a negative impact.

Metrics are the unarguable facts you present to agents when meeting, or especially not meeting company expectations.

If you work alone, then you should still have a leader board. You'll be #1 every month!

If you work alone, then you should still have a leader board. You'll be #1 every month!
I work alone, but still track myself on several items. I don't do it on a board, but on a spreadsheet. Then I print the spreadsheet once a month & post it next to my desk. I also have a wall calendar where I keep track of app count and premium written on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Doing these things sounds like busy work for some, but these help me to see if I'm on target for my goals, and help me make adjustments to my activity and/or focus when appropriate.

I'm a true independent and not tied to a particular IMO, so I'm not ever really competing with other agents. But I do mentally compete with myself and past performance. (At the same time, I also post the monthly report from my primary carrier to see how they're measuring me. I have to admit, I like seeing my name among the top agents, but it doesn't motivate me as much as my own goals do.)

I track myself. (Or my admin, who Bevo is trying to steal, does ;) )

I want 10 new Med Supps per month, Jan 2 thru 10/15. She emails me the last day of the month with the number. I don't track U65 or Group during that time. I also don't do any marketing for U65/Group. And the only O65 marketing is seminars. That number may be low for a lot of you, but it works for me. It consistently puts me at 150+ annually, since 4th quarter is massive.

During OEP, I have 2 goals. 1 is the starvation line income. 2 is the stretch line. When we hit the stretch line (25% increase over the last year) we celebrate at Red Robin. (Don't ask. K&G picked it out years ago.) Usually hits right around Thanksgiving and its a nice reminder for everyone (4th quarter is hard on our families, too) why we do this for 8 weeks every year.

One of the best functions of leader boards is they provide great encouragement for the newbies and the people stuck in ruts. There is nothing more confidence building for a rookie or new agent then to look at a couple of complete clowns and fools who are at the top of the sales board and are rolling in dough. Any ones first thought is going to be if they can do it I know I can do it. There is no greater motivation on earth. It worked for me when I first got into the business. Worked real well!

Back