• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Where Were You when the World Stopped Turning?

I was living in Grapevine, TX. just 9 miles from D/FW airport. I remember feeling the same 'time stands still' feeling as when John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX. Everyone still remembers where they were that exact moment; just like with 9/11.

The deafening silence of the D/FW airport was a roar. It was as if it were
'the end'.

I was on my way out the door to head to my job at Wells Fargo. I heard about the planes and, in my mind, thought of it like the Oklahoma City federal building bombing.

I remember getting notifications from our district office to limit cash to $3,000 per customer for a couple of days... as things like this tend to get people to panic. Plus, with planes grounded, checks would take longer to clear. I also remember getting a few calls asking if the banks (and their money) were safe.

In short - quite a few panicked people to deal with that day.

The freakiest thing for me, was seeing something flying that night - knowing that all planes were grounded. Must've been some kind of drone or other approved aircraft, but it still freaked me out a bit.

I was a senior in high school. That morning I was working at a fast food restaurant in a mall.

People kept walking by asking if we "saw what happened."

They soon shut the mall down, we went home, then I saw it.

At that time I was living in Melissa, TX, in the country just outside the far northeast corner of the Dallas suburbs, right under the Northeast beacon for inbound flights to DFW airport. I was listening to the Howard Stern show, of all things, and heard the news just as I arrived at work in Plano (long before my insurance life), which for this market was on a one hour time delay. I heard the news there, and hustled home from work to find my wife crying in front of the television. Within a few minutes after I sat down next to her the second tower fell. In addition to the trauma of the day, it was eerie not to see the trail of planes that passed over our house every minute or so high in the sky for several days.

I traveled by air a lot back in those days--fortunately not that week--and one of the two Hyatt hotels at DFW was scheduled for demolition a week or two after 9/11. The airport authority decided to postpone the demolition out of concern that the implosion might frighten those in the terminals on the date of demolition.

Both Bob...unfortunately, I'm not one of the young ones either.:no:

26 here... I feel like I'm starting to get out of the loop of what's "cool." And with all the weird stuff kids and young adults do now, it is NOT cool, I swear.

I wonder where we will all be when the Iranian nukes go off. And I am sure that 15 billion we just gave them in spending money will result in some first class dirty tricks too.

Latest posts

Back