Any advice on buying quality leads?

After chasing 97% of those garbage leads - I prefer to only talk to that 3% that are "ready to buy" now (they're what I call a prospect not a lead)...if you value your time then that's the only way to run your business.

YES - these prospects will be calling you directly...

If I could agree 1000 X's Huge difference in lead quality I've turned down free leads from FMO during AEP due to the fact I have to go through 100 to get a deal cost me more time then paying for my own leads by a mile

I agree with Barry or Vic.

The majority of my leads come off my website and Google Local. And they're generally 4 months from T65.

For Medicare, I can close around 40% for my online leads... Because by the time the talk to me, they've either called me or set up an appointment to call them.

I just put in an order for FESL Facebook Medicare leads. I suck at Facebook leads and at $22 with a lead and it's warmed up is kind of a deal to me.

I also started working with a mailing house that does a multi touch mail campaign for T65 over 8 months.

Spending money can be scary... But you have to think of this as an investment. And starting a business is the best investment to build wealth and especially our business, which is essentially recession proof.

I'm going to be racking up points on my credit card because my goal is as a part time agent, to get to 100 new clients next year, and for the next three years.

My ultimate goal is to get to 109k a year before costs 86k after so I can transition out of my job. Then, I'll decide if I'm happy with my work/income level or if I'm going to start doubling down on marketing.

50% of the people don’t know what they have .So what you do when they say there paying $25 a month for $20 k whole life ?You Pull out your quoter and know it’s bs . I hit with my what’s happened to a few clients spouses who insisted they had coverage over the last yr . They were accidental policy’s

@DonP, I know exactly what you mean. You are spot on about people not really knowing what they have.

Good use of "your" stories. I think agents need to collect good stories and deliver them with some passion. It matters more than most understand.

I usually will ask some questions just to get them confused on what they think they know, and then tell them lets take a look at your paper work. (And there is a proper way to ask for paper work. If you are sitting down, stand up like you are going to go help them find it. Move somehow to indicate it's time for them to move.) If they hem or haw at this point, they really aren't prospects and its time move on.

The problem is theres a limited amount of people actually ready to buy insurance at the end of the day.

Your right, its our job to move them to that decision, or remove them as a prospect.

30% of people dont wanna hear the word insurance

Then don't use the word "Insurance". I like to call it "life coverage". Was taught years ago not to even mention this word. Just me I am sure, and most people know what you mean. Let their brains work on the death cost before they think about insurance cost. Emotion is your friend at this point, learn to use it. The fear of death is real because 100% of people die with our without insurance.

That part is brand new to us, so no real data.

So I bought 20 of the Facebook Callback...

Virtually all e-mail addresses were bad. One number didn't work at all (Which if they're facebook and call verified...) It's not that they're all bad... I just do better when someone comes on my website and sets an appointment or calls me.

Even when I call the people that have requested a quote but not set an appointment, it's just different.

I don't write nearly as much as most people here. Although this year has been about 900% better than last year. But I don't think they're for me.

I'd rather do DM and have them call me, let them find me on google local, or through a google search vs buying another set.

Like Barry said, I could go through the 97% to get to the 3%, but I like dealing with the 3% and am willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
In my experience, no lead source guarantees that the prospect is ready to buy. All lead sources contain a certain degree of garbage, including live-call transfer tv leads. You will find that these leads have the same excuses or reasons for not buying as any other lead source. When you have worked TV leads long enough you will also find that serial callers exist with those, just like serial mailers exist with DM leads. The only advantage a live-call transfer has over the other lead sources is "a guaranteed appointment". Ninety-nine percent of the time, someone is on the other end of the line when you answer. Nothing more, nothing less. You have absolutely no idea whether the caller with whom you have this appointment is qualified or not. Every salesmen, regardless of industry, would prefer only talking to those "ready to buy". You will never know who's ready to buy, until you engage the person. This goes for referals as well.

Last edited:
In my experience, no lead source guarantees that the prospect is ready to buy. All lead sources contain a certain degree of garbage, including live-call transfer tv leads. You will find that these leads have the same excuses or reasons for not buying as any other lead source. When you have worked TV leads long enough you will also find that serial callers exist with those, just like serial mailers exist with DM leads. The only advantage a live-call transfer has over the other lead sources is "a guaranteed appointment". Ninety-nine percent of the time, someone is on the other end of the line when you answer. Nothing more, nothing less. You have absolutely no idea whether the caller with whom you have this appointment is qualified or not. Every salesmen, regardless of industry, would prefer only talking to those "ready to buy". You will never know who's ready to buy, until you engage the person. This goes for referals as well.

100% agree - no guarantees with anything. That's why even when talking to prospects from inbound TV - you close around 22-25%+ minimum. That's about 1/4. Great agents who build rapport quick close 33%+. I know these people they're not unicorns.

Your "only advantage" statement - is a BIG advantage. Value your time. I'd rather spend 5 hours talking to "guaranteed appointments" and close 25% then spend 3-4 precious hours just hunting for someone to talk to...

The typical reasons for an inbound caller not buying is they only qualify for a 2 year wait and just don't want that, or they had expectations that the cost of a $10,000 policy is only $9.95/month (Alex Trebeck may he rest in peace)...

Back